Hiller Flying Plateform Planning, All Ideas Highly Appreciated, Aircraft Noob

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

bmcj

HBA Supporter
I think that second video was a Williams jet engine venture (for military).
I think you are correct. Not sure if it was Williams, but it was a turbojet.

Seems like the reasonable thing to do.
I would have backed off too. It just struck me as being funny... especially IF the builder was trying to show its safety or control.

Reactions: BJC

autoreply

But besides that, I was wondering what AutoReply, in post # 70, above, meant when he said: "Use a tip-driven (turbojet) prop and you've solved most of the issues..."

Was he referring to the Flying Platform, or or something else, or was his meaning simply lost in translation? It might be interesting to know what idea(s) he might have had that nobody has thought of yet.
Jets are pretty (reasonably) efficient at transsonic speed. Putting them at the tip makes a lot of sense. Ramjets are way less efficient at that speed but still make a lot of sense (simple).

Ramjets, as pioneered on the Dutch NHI Kolibri, are incredibly loud. According to my grandfather it's the only plane that was louder as both the Phantom and the Harrier.

Turbojets will simply rip apart under the G-forces.

The solution is to have a turbojet that blows into a hollow shaft and from there goes to the tips. This solution has been studied by Ross Nolan (Aircar) and me and makes a hell of a lot of sense if light weight is critical and fuel burn is less so. (Figure 2-3 times the fuel burn of a 4-stroke). Lots of complex details, mostly thermal, but it can be done.

A package for a 350 lbs static thrust can weight as little as 20 lbs and burn only 1-2 lbs/minute in cheap diesel.

henryk

already been posted...
=it is polish construction (Adam), with 140 HP bike enginy +motorcycle reductor...

=only 1 m altitude ! (1.6 m propellers=big disc loading !

BTW= first construction with upper propellers was unstabile !!!

in contrary=

+=one el. motor=CR Differential gear !

Attachments