• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Highs and Lows

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig

Strange thoughts sometimes circulate in my brain. So i will share with all ya'll (plural of ya'll) the latest thinking:

We are all taught that air circulates clockwise around a high pressure area, and counter-clockwise around a low. Basic weather, right?

So in a thermal, which way does the air circulate? I know from glider flying that I am usually more comfortable circling in a thermal to the left - CCW. Comes from learning to fly first in a side-by-side airplane, instead of a tandem-seat glider, I guess. And thermals do travel with the prevailing wind, in an ascending slant to the ground over which they are formed.

But is there a circulation within the thermal? And if so, which way would it go? And would it be more beneficial to travel with the circulation, or against it? Certainly one way would give you a higher apparent ground speed than the other - good or bad?

Just something to tease your brains.

Back