High Sierra Fly in

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

PTAirco

Anyone going ?

A friend of mine and I are likely to be attending, he's bringing a Carbon Cub and I'll be in the humble Maule. He's likely to compete in the STOL drag races. I'm definitely not, not with 145hp.

Disappointed at the high cost of tickets - $125 per person. Which includes one feeding, I believe, and sundry entertainment.

Rik-

I didn't realize they charged to attend. It has to cost Kevin something though to organize it and put the event on as the toilets and such as well as staff takes $$$$$$

Victor Bravo

I'm probably not welcome there, or would be shot on sight by some "admirers" from a different internet forum, so I ain't gonna go. Worse yet, I have the same amount of horsepower as you, and 33% more main wheels.

An HBA gathering up there would be really neat, since there's a lot of experimentals there. Lots of neat stuff, and some really experienced pilots.

One word of caution, FWIW my own experience with that demographic is very different from this one here on HBA. You will be leaving the intellectual end of the aviation gene pool, and making a detour into Bubba's Appalachian MENSA Club.

Rik-

I'm probably not welcome there, or would be shot on sight by some "admirers" from a different internet forum, so I ain't gonna go. Worse yet, I have the same amount of horsepower as you, and 33% more main wheels.

An HBA gathering up there would be really neat, since there's a lot of experimentals there. Lots of neat stuff, and some really experienced pilots.

One word of caution, FWIW my own experience with that demographic is very different from this one here on HBA. You will be leaving the intellectual end of the aviation gene pool, and making a detour into Bubba's Appalachian MENSA Club.
Please don’t insult people from back east. California has more than enough ignorant idiots to dumb down the average IQ of any event. Then throw in the desert rats from Nevada and Utah and you have an utopia of wasted thoughts.

PTAirco

Yes, it does get described as the "Burning Man" festival for pilots. Although I have seen an amazing variety of aircraft show up there, so perhaps that reflects the variety of participants. I'm only at the 90% certainty if I'm going yet. Depends on if my friend can borrowa suitable airplane.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Please don’t insult people from back east. California has more than enough ignorant idiots to dumb down the average IQ of any event. Then throw in the desert rats from Nevada and Utah and you have an utopia of wasted thoughts.
I’m sure his comment was purely tongue-in-cheek.

PTAirco

I think the majority of gripes about California come from jealous outsiders. And if they don't live here, why are they complaining?

Rik-

I think the majority of gripes about California come from jealous outsiders. And if they don't live here, why are they complaining?
I live here, both SoCal and NorCal residency and believe me when I drive down to the federal building in LA, or have to visit a client in Alameda I see how intelligent we are and what the rest of the 48 are jealous of. Prime real estate on top of the freeway overpass with bed frames and tents. People crapping in the street like we are living in India.

Don't get me started on the paper straws or the fact that a restaurant server cannot offer you a straw or they personally face a fine.. Where does this "intelligent superior thinking" come from?

Good thing the weather is GREAT here as I'm never leaving!!!

flyrite

Now Fellers, If ya don’t want another thread to get shut down, Ya might want ease up on the innuendo’s bout the Sierra crowd. I’m On the East Coast from the redneck part of Georgia. But it is my observation of the guys there , is that they are doers, not talkers like the a lot I have witnessed on this forum.
I have been lurking here for a while, and even put up a few posts. Been entertaining watching the raptor thread and all the vapors displayed by people who have no financial interest in it at all.
Just for the record I’ve built two original designs and several Kits. One of my best friends is an aeronautical engineer just left Gulf stream. Done a lot of load analysis for me. But the idea that a bunch of pointed headed aeronautical engineer’s with degrees are the intellectual brain pool of this forum is hilarious. Some of the biggest dumb ass’s I’ve ever known had degrees and couldn’t find their way out of a wet paper bag. But would make good college professors or teachers at some tech school!

Victor Bravo

Nobody makes more jokes about California, and Los Angeles, and Hollywood, than I do. That, in combination with having been born and raised here, gives me an official, irrevocable license to make jokes and GENTLY poke fun at my own home, and everyone else's home.

Today, on the way home from work an hour ago, I found myself on the 101 Freeway right behind LA's own cultural icon Angelyne, in her Pepto-Bismol colored pink Corvette. I'm not kidding, I was right behind her in rush hour traffic for ten minutes. This is the pin-up girl who created worldwide fame and recognition for doing absolutely nothing other than creating fame and recognition.

My point is, we have plenty to laugh about here in Hollywood, people poke fun at us for our stereotypes (like the iconic Ms. Angelyne herself) and our strange cultural norms, and our housing prices,a nd our glacial freeway traffic. We're often seen as intellectual leftist idiots by many (some of us are actually center-starboard-moderate, BTW).

If we have to put up with that, all day every day, then we can make jokes about everyone else with total impunity.

Now, with sincere respects to Pops and anyone else not from California, back to aviation.

Any aviators that are going to participate in the High Sierra Fly-In will have a GREAT time. I'm guessing it'll be like going to a NASCAR race. As such, any pilots from places like Hollywood, or Berkeley, CA whose intellectual, cultural, and technical preferences are closely aligned with the NASCAR lifestyle, will certainly feel right at home at the HSF event.

Pops

Log Member
Wife has 2 sisters that moved from Pa to Ca right after getting married and now with all the children, Grandchildren and Great Grandchildren, there are about 33 relatives in Ca now. Wife lived in CA for one summer.

Rik-

We're often seen as intellectual leftist idiots by many (some of us are actually center-starboard-moderate, BTW).
Sorry, but we are seen as leftist idiots, no one thinks of us as intellectuals other than ourselves. Remember Berkeley decided to remove the term/name "man" from everything from manhole covers, to doorman and extended to mailman. Just because they have a university there doesn't make them intellectual nor smart.