Quantcast

High School Corben Baby Ace Project

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Mcmark

Major Bigger,
I’ll get the nose bowl on it’s way after the holiday. I’ll include a value including postage.
I look forward to it’s progress and hopefully attract some new blood to the hobby.
Respectfully,
Mark

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Toobuilder, We may very well be able to use a vacuum system for the very reason you mention. If our little experiment goes well with the Baby Ace, we will have a regular aviation A&P component in our auto and fabrication classes. Your instruments will be very helpful. We do not have any means of reimbursing postage, but will gladly get you a non-profit donation receipt...

Copy all. I'll dig out the goods and get it headed your way after the Christmas rush dies down. Don't worry about shipping - I'm happy to cover it.

Last edited:

FritzW

Log Member
Welcome Val!

I've been so busy on, yet another, drone thread I got a little side tracked :gig:

Thanks for joining our group. This group has a passion for seeing airplanes get built and I believe we're all interested in helping the next generation of homebuilders and pilots get started.

I'm heading out the door for a Christmas get together but I'll follow up tonight...

Fritz

Last edited:

don january

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Don, we'll have the kids open and sort every single present. -Val
Welcome aboard Maj. I think that is a great idea helps the students learn application. I guess I have to step up and be "Negative Nelly" I ask myself what would I be thinking of as one of your students and probably the first thought is "Man I can't wait to fly that puppy" which brings me to my point. Would it not be better to build a 2 place ? preferably side by side dual control. The Corben baby Ace is a fine plane and wonderful for FritZ to supply it and could be built along side. Also the 0200 will fit many 2 place needs. I have an old set of Mustang II prints the class can have or a set of SA 300 Starduster prints tho power plant should be larger. Just some food for thought on the class and looking at Mission type of aircraft. If I remember correctly your Homebuilt can partially be used for your PPL most time can be gained in Duel configuration. I say again welcome to all persons involved Who may or may not be a member of HBA.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
I have an idea to build on what Don said. Yes of course the kids won't be able to fly the Baby Ace. But they already have it, and it can become the key to the next project. As my childhood mentor Bugs Bunny was known to say... "I'll use a little stragety" :)

First, I'm sure that the EAA Chapter in Las Cruces will be able to get all of these kids flying in their Young Eagles program. So "setting the hook" in these kids for aviation will get done, if it is not already in the works. I am 100% sure Fritz, his EAA guys, and Major Bigger are getting that together.

What I suggest as far as an airplane itself is this... finish the Baby Ace that Fritz was generous enough to donate. Get it built and have the EAA chapter guys fly off the 40 hours. Sell it for the $10-15K that it would likely be worth.

Re-invest the money into the materials to build the next school project, which WOULD be a two place training-capable aircraft.

(As many here have heard me bellowing about100 times, I like the Zenair 750 because it meets a large number of requirements for this type of program... easy to build, QUICK to build, inexpensive to biold, easy and foolproof to inspect for safety/quality/workmanship/airworthiness, 100% non-toxic materials, easily INSURABLE, and a very safe aircraft ion the air if for any reason it has to make a slow emergency landing.)

The Baby Ace flying in front of the kids who built it will be a great source of pride for the school and the entire community. Front page news is probably a guarantee in a city of this size (I wish it was here in LA, but alas...) Now... 10-15K in sale proceeds from the Baby Ace will buy at least half of the kit, or all the raw aluminum, etc. to build the 750. By the way, Sebastian Heintz at Zenair is known for be ing very generous to school projects with 701 and 750 kits... he might well offer an educational discount where that 15K buys the entire 25K airframe kit.

So you wind up with a sutation where:

1) the school has already demonstrated one successful aircraft build, resulting in a safe, FAAA approved airplane,
2) the school has demonstrated that students get fully engaged in STEM education, and all the associated positive life/learning/career stuff
3) the school has demonstrated that they already managed to raise half of the money to complete the second project
4) the school has demonstrated a program that provided hands-on job skills, required teamwork, work ethic, personal responsibility, etc.

Considering the community pride, the positive effects on the kids, and all the news coverage, what do you think the chances are that the business community and local government politicians in Las Cruces would FIND a way to support the project and raise the other half of the money for engine, instruments, tools, etc? What do you think the chances are that sponsorship from the aviation world would be forthcoming, from Garmin, or Dynon, or Sporty's, or Aircraft spruce?

If it wasn't already obvious, the success of the first Baby Ace project, combined with the STEM/education aspects, job training aspects, character development aspects, and "positive life outcomes" aspects... makes this an ideal vehicle to solicit grant funding from charitable foundations.

So... I do believe that the Baby Ace project is well worth doing, because they already have it, and it can easily lead to the next project which the kids who built it CAN fly, receive flight instruction, and potentially even use to become licensed Sport Pilots.

FritzW

Log Member
VB, you must have been eavesdropping on our conversations. ...I suspect you're buddy Tim and his wonky Waiex were a ploy, spies sent by your chapter to steel our chapter secrets :gig:

The Major will correct me if I'm wrong but: Now that the Baby Ace is on the school district books it will likely be there forever (the rules concerning how, and to whom, they can sell it read like Levitical law). They might not ever be able to sell it, but that's okay, it's main purpose is to be a "success demonstrator" that will open the door to a two seater, probably a CH-750, for the exact reasons you mentioned. And, like you said, once this one is flying I think it'll be easier to get private and commercial financial support for the next one.

Our chapter and our sister chapter, 1570 in Santa Teresa, NM. both have (humble) scholarship programs to get kids, at least, through solo. The Major is looking into any support for a flight training program that he can get through the school district and/or the JROTC program. Ideally, this will turn into a high school level "aviation incubator" with flight training and a pre-A&P program, maybe even a high school flying club.

I'm meeting the Major today to start hashing out the build plan. I think when the semester starts they're going to hit the ground running.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Fritz, if and when the time comes that you, the Major, and the school district wish to brainstorm and/or delve into how the fundraising, grant writing, etc. works, let me know. In a previous life (a year or two ago) I was a professional grant writer for non-profit organizations.

FritzW

Log Member
Thanks VB! (I do have a question, I'll PM you)

The Major didn't like my fundraising idea (it involved ski masks, pistols and a liquor store at two o'clock in the morning) :gig:

TheMaj

Log Member
...Here's where the HBA comes in:
90% of what they need to finish the project is 'stuff' sitting in a T hangar or a garage here in Las Cruces. I'll find it and finagle it out of the owners.
10% will need to be finagled out of someone else (maybe you). ...it'll probably be something your tripping over and getting ready to throw away anyway. ...turnbuckles, shackles, AN-XYZ's, etc. ...airplane builders know exactly what I'm talking about. Building this thing is going to take a year or two, the "junk" you have in your T hangar might be the "make or break" for this project...[/QUOTE]

Thanks to HBA for your help. We received your nose bowl (thanks Mark!) from Maryland and a package of hardware from W.V. (thank you D.D.)
It is exciting for all of us to know HBA is interested in our project and even willing to donate to our cause.
Thank you all! -The Major

don january

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Did you not receive a package from North Dakota?? I sent Fritz a tracking Number. Also Lil Scrapper your mail box is full and won't receive messages. I would like your address to send something your way. My PM is working good as far as I know. Don

FritzW

Log Member
Did you not receive a package from North Dakota?? I sent Fritz a tracking Number. Also Lil Scrapper your mail box is full and won't receive messages. I would like your address to send something your way. My PM is working good as far as I know. Don
It shows that it was delivered on 1/3/19. Maj., any chance it's floating around the mail room?

don january

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Still waiting on shipping options for the plywood.

Is anyone traveling Eastbound on I-10 from the west coast that can haul these sheets of wood?
VB. I'll kick in 20.00 bucks to help get the wood there if it would help. Lil Scrapper good to hear your working hard as usual and doing well. I hope we all can keep digging though the wood pile to help the class and most of all the aircraft get to the air. Don

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Thank you Don, but your generosity should be directed at something other than this. All we need is someone who is already traveling on that road with room in their truck. The cost of using a shipping company to do this on a retail price basis is probably higher than the cost of the wood, so twenty of thirty bucks is not going to make that happen.

FritzW

Log Member
The students and faculty are back in school, time to get started! I'll do the initial tech counselor visit tomorrow and help them layout their build plan. ...I have to remember: it's a marathon, not a 100 yard dash.