Quantcast

High School Corben Baby Ace Project

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Found them. I have two tailwheel. The Matco, although dusty, has never been used. The Maul is older and pretty beat up.

The Matco is what I would suggest. I'll let you guys determine what is best. I'll send and ship for free, just take your pick.

Mike

IMG_20181219_161309196.jpg

IMG_20181219_161416201.jpg

IMG_20181219_161416201.jpg

IMG_20181219_161449141.jpg

don january

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Scrapper: I'll sure would work a deal on the rough one I need one for my T-mono,

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Don, I'll give it to you but only under one circumstance. You have to use it on your Taylor. Scouts honor. If for some reason you you can't use it ya gotta send it back. If you agree to that it's yours. Merry Christmas.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I'm not trying to sell it. I'm not trying to get rid of both. I offered to help these group of kids, I have two to pick from. If Don really needs the Maule and can use it I'll give it to him as long as it gets used and not sold. Money and selling is irrelevant to me. The Maule was given to me by a wonderful man who died of old age, I would like it to on a home built project, that would be returning the favor more or less. Selling it wouldn't settle well with me. And I don't mind keeping it. I'll hang it in my shop. Again, my goal isn't to get rid of everything I have, the thread is for a group of kids, I'm just trying to help them if I can.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Scrapper hit the nail on the head. Almost ALL of us have a bunch of junk/treasure that we have been keeping to use "someday" on the "next project after I finish the next project after this one".

What we should consider doing is letting Fritz' group of kids cash in that "someday" for an important project they have today. The stuff will get used on an airplane sooner than we might get to it, and each of us will be doing a little something for the future of aviation at little or no cost.

Most of us airport bums have collected a lot of stuff over the years. I have drawers full of nuts, bolts, Cotter pins, and "stuff" that I keep to use on airplanes. I have two big pickle jars full of thick wall tube Micarta spacers that I inherited from someone who passed away, and I seem to remember he collected them from floor sweepings at some long-forgotten manufacturing facility. A bag of these spacers will be headed toward the school project in this thread, in addition to a few handfuls of other stuff, in addition to the plywood Im entioned earier if we can get it shipped.

Mike Langdon was one of our most beloved EAA chapter members, and when he passed away I got an early VW engine he had that was different from most of the mainstream later VW engines. I think it was an old 36HP version? As such it was probably absolutely useless for use as a Sonex or Cygnet engine conversion. But I kept it (covered in a special protective layer of dirt) for years, not wanting to abandon the memory of my old friend who walked across Europe with General Patton. Six months ago a friend of mine was visiting, saw the engine, and started shouting how it was the perfect VW version to replace the one on his historically significant Druine Turbulent (for some mechanical configuration reasons I had no idea of). We put it in the trunk of his rusty little Geo Metro, and not only will he be able to put a rare airplane back in the air, I now have the floor space to stack some tires that I had been given.

Scrapper's Matco tailwheel will be going to an important use on a kids project, where we will be creating a new generation of pilots and homebuilders. Then his Maule tailwheel will apparently be going to help Don's Taylor Mono done faster, putting another historically significant homeubilt airplane in the air. My sheets of plywood and a bag of ancient Micarta spacers will be making a small difference to these kids. Fritz gave them the basic structure of an aircraft (Sainthood, I tell you) but then thanks to his taking a moment to bring this up in public, if the builders and tinkerers on HBA pitched in just a little, we can all play a part in making a class full of kids into aircraft builders.

SO... in my very best basso profundo James Earl Jones / Mufasa voice: "Simba, all aircraft enthusiasts are connected in the great Circle of Hardware..."

Mufasa.jpg

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Victor Bravo. Excellent explanation.

I just got rid of my Cassutt gear to a guy currently flying and racing a Cassutt. A young enthusiastic fellow. Made me feel pretty good.

The kids on that Ace, feels pretty good to help them with the Matco. I like the idea I can be part of something bigger than myself. I'll happily mail it.

Don mentioned his Taylor, of which I've watched him post about. Feels pretty good to know I can help another man accomplish a dream. So yeah, no problem, I'll happily send it.

Don. PM me a address and you'll have it next week.

don january

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Don, I'll give it to you but only under one circumstance. You have to use it on your Taylor. Scouts honor. If for some reason you you can't use it ya gotta send it back. If you agree to that it's yours. Merry Christmas.
Little Scrapper. I appreciate your kindness and will honor your terms. I did deal on one tail wheel but returned it to seller for the weight I thought may have been to much at about 8 lbs. Like many of builders out in the world I have taken on this build alone and there is nothing I like to see better then a class of young pilots following the dream of flight. I have to say I admire FritzW for the chance to be hands on with this Corben build.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Little Scrapper. I appreciate your kindness and will honor your terms. I did deal on one tail wheel but returned it to seller for the weight I thought may have been to much at about 8 lbs. Like many of builders out in the world I have taken on this build alone and there is nothing I like to see better then a class of young pilots following the dream of flight. I have to say I admire FritzW for the chance to be hands on with this Corben build.
Ok. Just an FYI.

I weighed the unit just now, it's 5 lbs 14.9 ounces. About 2 pounds lighter.

don january

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Thanks for the info Little Scrapper it should work fine. Could some one tell me if the address in post #15 1955 N Valley drive the one too send donations to?

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Don-- Address in post 15. You have it right. I also got the same address in a private email.

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Not sure if anyone uses steam instruments anymore but I have a bunch of them. What are the needs for this project?

I know I can do an altimeter, VSI, compass, airspeed, electric T&B, OAT, fuel valve, and key type ignition switch. If the engine has provisions for it, I can do a vaccum pump, regulator, AH and DG. I realize the airplane normally does not need a vacuum system, but if its a teaching tool, then plumbing a vacuum system might be useful.

Last edited:

TheMaj

Log Member
I am finally able to post and tell you how amazed I am at the support of the homebuilt community. This project is going to change the trajectory of some of my kids' lives, and they don't even realize it. I am "the major" (that's what the kids call me). Four years ago, I went back to high school for the first time in 30 years. I have been trying to find some way to break these kids out of their every-day screen-deep world of smart phones and social media ever since. I met Fritz and several other members of EAA 555 on a lark.
NG Field Trip.jpgI happened to be on a National Guard field trip close to the airport and decided to go in the EAA 555 hanger. My Sgt had things well in hand so I wandered over not expecting anyone to be there. I had started a hands-on STEM class (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) this fall to try to get some of my kids excited about aerospace careers by designing and building payload rockets. I was fantasizing about having the kids build an airplane. That's what I dreamed about back in high school. We have a fabrication and an automotive class and I thought we might be able to really do this.
Sonex repair.JPG
Inside I found Fritz and several other guys helping a transiting pilot get his Sonex back in the air and home to California. After a little "hey guys, what are you working on" small talk, I introduced myself to Fritz. I told him I had this crazy idea and asked if it were at all possible for a group of high school kids to build a plane. The conversations that followed are a bit of a blur.
Sonex Kids Signatures.jpgHe showed me the wings of another Sonex in the hanger. Every rivet was signed by what looked like a child The wing had actually been build by children. Fritz threw a lot of gasoline on my smoldering fire that day. I went home and asked the auto and fabrication teachers the same question. "What would you think of building an actual airplane?" There was instant excitement. We all asked our kids if they would be interested. Instant (and very rare) excitement.
I walked the idea up through our school leadership to our administration, everyone thought the "Flying Trojan" (we are Mayfield Trojans) was very exciting. There was only one question, and everyone asked it. "Where are you going to get all the materials and money needed to build an airplane?" The only answer I had sounded as far fetched to me as I know it did to everyone else. "Well, um.... there is this guy Fritz, and he said he and the homebuilt community would be able to scrounge up everything we need, no problem."
0-200 motor.JPG His amazing generosity in providing a Baby Ace fuselage frame and 0-200 engine was just the start. I'm reading these posts and see the reality that Fritz was talking about. This is a very special community of friends that will go to great lengths to share their passion of flying with the next generation. As amazing dreaming about flying is for these kids, it's even better to have them rub shoulders with people like Fritz. I want them to read your responses and look into a community of friends that are helpful, generous and kind to each other. They don't see a lot of that in the places they frequent on their smart phones. I am not a gooey, emotionally astute or spiritual kind of guy, but when so many seemingly random puzzle pieces fall together in such a short amount of time to do something extraordinary like this, I know there is something behind it. Something good, and I am excited to be a part of it. Thanks for making this crazy idea start to become reality and helping give these kids a life-changing experience.

For anyone as excited as we are and wanting to help, please send your donations to our school and please include your estimated value and an email address so I can at least return a non-profit donation form. I'll upload a specific wish list ASAP.

Mayfield High School Flying Trojan
c/o Major Bigger
1955 N. valley Drive
Las Cruces, NM 88005

Last edited:

TheMaj

Log Member
Toobuilder, We may very well be able to use a vacuum system for the very reason you mention. If our little experiment goes well with the Baby Ace, we will have a regular aviation A&P component in our auto and fabrication classes. Your instruments will be very helpful. We do not have any means of reimbursing postage, but will gladly get you a non-profit donation receipt. You can send to:

The Mayfield High School Flying Trojan
c/o Major Bigger
1955 N. Valley Drive
Las Cruces, NM 88005

TheMaj

Log Member
Hi Mark,
That is very generous, thank you. you offer may be the determining factor in whether we enclose the cowl. We do not have any means of reimbursing postage, but will gladly get you a non-profit donation receipt. You can send to:

The Mayfield High School Flying Trojan
c/o Major Bigger
1955 N. Valley Drive
Las Cruces, NM 88005

BJC

HBA Supporter
Major:

Welcome to HBA.

Any chance that one or more of the students will join HBA and share the experience?

BJC