High School Corben Baby Ace Project

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by FritzW, Dec 14, 2018.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Dec 14, 2018 #1

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

A couple of weeks ago the JROTC instructor and 3 or 4 of the shop teachers from one of local High Schools stopped by our EAA hangar to see what it would take to have their students build an airplane. These guys have an incredible "let's just do it!" attitude. ...which really resonates with me.

After a few more "get the ball rolling" meetings I gave them a Baby Ace 'D' fuselage (that I'd probably never get around to finishing) and an O-200 with a McCauley prop, ...and a commitment from our local chapter that we'll help in any way we can.

They're hoping, when they're successful with the Baby Ace, it'll lead to a two seat kit that they can build and start a flight training program for the students. ...watch out Zenith!, these guys are going to be knocking on your door :gig:.

20181214_102548_resized.jpg a few of the Mayfield HS students from the JROTC, Auto shop, and Welding programs.

20181214_104928_resized.jpg ...my sweet 'ol Baby Ace project (with brand new Cleveland wheels and brakes) will be much happier in a busy High School shop class than sitting in a forgotten corner on my hangar <wipe a tear from my eye> :gig:

20181214_134743_resized.jpg ...two of the instructors who have, truly contagious, enthusiasm for the project.

...Here's where the HBA comes in:
    90% of what they need to finish the project is 'stuff' sitting in a T hangar or a garage here in Las Cruces. I'll find it and finagle it out of the owners.
    10% will need to be finagled out of someone else (maybe you). ...it'll probably be something your tripping over and getting ready to throw away anyway. ...turnbuckles, shackles, AN-XYZ's, etc. ...airplane builders know exactly what I'm talking about. Building this thing is going to take a year or two, the "junk" you have in your T hangar might be the "make or break" for this project...

D_limiter, mcrae0104, delta and 6 others like this.
  2. Dec 14, 2018 #2

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I have a brand new Matco tailwheel they can have.

D_limiter and FritzW like this.
  3. Dec 14, 2018 #3

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

I have a full set of extra nose ribs perfectly routed out for a wing. I made two sets and have this sitting in a box. Mahogany aircraft grade.

D_limiter likes this.
  4. Dec 15, 2018 #4

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Like!
    Like!
    Like!

I propose all of us conspire to keep this thread near the top of the "today's posts" list, to become an actual working example of nationwide or worldwide "crowdsourcing" for parts of this project.

I have access to a couple of sheets of thin birch or hardwood plywood for wing leading edges. If it is the right thickness for the Baby Ace (or "close enough"), I will start the ball rolling and donate this plywood. (EDIT: Scrapper beat me to it) Perhaps someone on HBA who is traveling on I-10 from SoCal toward El Paso has room in a truck or container for this wood? I MAY have a tailwheel somewhere. I can donate a small box of various new 3/16 and 1/4 inch AN bolts and hardware to the project as well. I also have some scraps of 4130 steel that MIGHT be the right thickness for cutting steel fittings and attach tabs from. If there is any need on a Baby Ace for blue styrofoam to carve fairings or wingtips (folloed by fiberglass) I will donate a large block of blue foam too.

So if Fritz has made an incredibly generous move to get kids started building with an entire fuselage... and if I can put my hangar treasure where my big mouth is... the rest of you guys need to pony up and look through the "museum" section of your hangar or garage and get on board with this :)

This can be the HBA equivalent of the soaring world's "Online Contest". The trophy here is that we would have helped create new homebuilders and new pilots.

Good on you Fritz!

FritzW and Little Scrapper like this.
  5. Dec 15, 2018 #5

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Thank you Scrapper!
    If it'll work on a ~1,000 lbs GW Baby Ace, we'll take you up on your offer (you can see in the pictures the Corben needs a tailwheel). ...I'll pay shipping, Mayfield H.S. will give you a receipt for your tax deducible tailwheel (the best kind of tailwheel) ;)

6. Dec 15, 2018 #6

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

I'll pay for shipping. I have a Maul tailwheel also. Let me dig this weekend. I just recently got rid of a ton of stuff but I do have a few things left.

If I can't seem to build my own I can sure as hell help someone who will.

FritzW likes this.
  7. Dec 15, 2018 #7

BJC

BJC

BJC

FritzW likes this.
  8. Dec 15, 2018 #8

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Thank you guys!

I can't draw up a list "needs" until I see what I can't scrounge up locally (if VB's ply is 1/6'ish or thinner we could really use it, I've scored enough 1/8" for the wings from my stash). I suspect things like AN nut's and bolts and standard "Corben vintage" pulleys will be available from local stashes).

Two things I know they need:
    1) 3/4" spar stock (DF or Spruce) ...I have a local restaurant guy that's willing to pitch in $100 towards the spars).
    2) Covering material: ~2.7 oz. UNcertified Dacron. (I'll cover the PolyTac or equivalent)

9. Dec 15, 2018 #9

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Unfortunately, I have so far been completely successful at not acquiring any aircraft bits that-might-be-handy-someday. I'll have a look through through my books though, which may have something surplus. A good library is a wonderful resource.

Fritz, f you post a 'wanted' list, then maybe that will nudge peoples memories of forgotten junk. Err, treasure.

FritzW likes this.
  10. Dec 15, 2018 #10

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

I hope the 'wanted list' will be small but I'm not kidding myself, ...there's going to be a 'wanted list' ;). (the tailwheel was a biggy, thanks Scrapper, and VB)

Mayfield just took possession of the fuselage and engine/prop today (3 days before the current semester ends). Things won't really get rolling until the first of the year.

Major Val Bigger, the JROTC instructor who's spearheading this effort, is joining the HBA as we speak and I'm sure he'll offer his gratitude for all the support, ...but I'm honestly humbled by all the true 'Hombuilt people' who see the value of what these guys are doing. ...the project doesn't seem as big as it did a few hours ago.

11. Dec 15, 2018 #11

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

My plywood is thin, much thinner than 1/8, something like 1.5mm if I recall. I will know for sure when I go visit it in my friend's hangar tomorrow :) IIRC there's a couple of sheets of it.

I may have some covering material left over, let me go look. No promises, been a while and I don't remember if I gave it away.

Are you going to be using Stits Poly-Fiber on that project, or Stewart, or ??? I may have a few half-empty cans of Stits stuff laying around. Some of it may not be good any more of course, but a few cans of "still OK" stuff can save them from having to buy one more new can of something. I think I have some fabric tapes somewhere. Remnants and half-rolls for sure, but it might take a dent out of some other expense somewhere else.

If there is a list of AN hardware that the project needs, we have one of the last great aircraft surplus hardware outfits here near me, or I could go through my own secret stash of stuff, and perhaps take a small dent out of what they might need. It would be less than helpful if I sent you a handful of AN-6 bolts and the Baaby Ace only uses 1/4 and 5/16. So knowing what fasteners are used would be helpful.

Can I assume there will be an A-65 lashed onto the front of this thing, or are you going Corvair, Jabiru, VW...?

If Li'l Scrapper has a Matco tailwheel, that should be your first choice. Anything I have for a tailwheel will not be as good or as safe as that.

12. Dec 15, 2018 #12

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

I will find the tailwheel, I'll dig it out this weekend.

13. Dec 15, 2018 #13

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

I have 4 or 5 sheets of 1.5mm Finnish mahogany plywood, 3 ply. About 5x5 feet each. Also some small blocks of what looks like spruce, good for corner blocks and shims.

14. Dec 15, 2018 #14

don january

don january

don january

I have some extra build hardware I'd like to donate. Please post an address or PM me with details on were to ship. Thanks Don

FritzW likes this.
  15. Dec 15, 2018 #15

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Thanks guys!!! These guys are starting from scratch, they appreciate all the help they can get.

The contact person is Maj. Val Bigger (I don't have the contact info (yet) for the welding and autoshop teachers)
    vbigger@lcps.net (Las Cruces Public Schools)

His snail mail address is:
    Mayfield High School AFJROTC
    1955 N. Valley Drive
    Las Cruces, NM. 88007

He'll be on here as soon as his membership is approved. He's reading the posts, he just can't post yet. He's been texting me about how amazed he is by the support of the aviation community. He doesn't realize yet that this is a win-win program (getting new blood into aviation is critical for us also).

Thanks again everyone!

16. Dec 16, 2018 #16

Mcmark

Mcmark

Mcmark

Fritz and Major Bigger,
    Not sure if interested, but I’ve got an old T-Craft nosebowl on Barnstormers that I’d donate if they’d want an enclosed cowl.
    It needs some love from a hammer and dolly but solid.
    I’ll box and ship as soon as you let me know.
    I’ve had people do for me in the past, happy to pay it forward.
    Respectfully,
    Mark

TheMaj and FritzW like this.
  17. Dec 16, 2018 #17

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

I was unable to find the tailwheel today, but I know I have it. I have three barns to search through so it takes time. I'll keep digging this week, she'll show up.

don january and TheMaj like this.
  18. Dec 18, 2018 #18

don january

don january

don january

The start of class after the holidays should bring in some goodies for that Baby Ace aircraft. I'd suggest the class to get something to sort out some goodies coming their way from Pops and I.

TheMaj and Pops like this.
  19. Dec 18, 2018 #19

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Good point, I'll fix them up with some sorting bins and tubs.

20. Dec 18, 2018 #20

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

What can we arrange for shipping the plywood? Can we find any HBA folks going East on I-10 from California to Las Cruces?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    FritzW likes this.