• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

High powered/performance STOL LSA aircraft

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

High Altitude

In the spirit of cubcrafters carbon cub do you guys think there are any plans for highwing homebuilts that might be similiar?

I was thinking about a high wing, probably tube and fabric, that could take a 0-320, empty weight around 850lbs, built to take 1500lbs that could be registered at 1320 and flown as a sport pilot. Later on, if you upgraded to a PP cert, you could change the gross to 1500 and get full use out of the aircraft.

One possibility I can think of would be the Zenith 750. The original design was changed to take a 0-320 with a gross weight increase to 1440lbs. I have no idea what the empty weight would be with a 0-320, to see if it would even be useable at 1320, but lots of aircraft are coming in at 750-775lbs with rotax/jabiru, full paint, nice panels and interiors. A bare to the bones was built with UL engine, no paint, basic panel and interior and came in at 701 lbs. The weight spec is very accurate, which is a nice change compared to most kitplane manufacturers.

How much more weight would you add with a 0-320 with light weight starter/alternator with electronic ignition? Maybe going with a no electric setup would work out.

Can you guys think of any other designs that might work?

I thought about the Bearhawk patrol. From looking at a few completed patrols it is too heavy, but designed for up to 200hp with a 2000lb gross. Maybe the design could be changed to work.

I could even imagine a tube and fabric design that if built bare to the bone, only absolute necessary with basic interior, vfr day, no electric, basic analog panel or single glass would work for a LSA but if built heavier would still have plenty of gross to be flown PP.

Basically, I think someone needs to design the poor man's carbon cub that could be built from plans.

Back