High Oil Temp Anomaly

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

N8053H

My 1/2vw built by Scott Casler had oil pressure over 80 PSI when cold. Once hot or at operating temp oil pressure was around 60psi. Normal oil temp on this engine was 160 degree's. A little to cold for my taste but it is what it is. Mine also had an oil filter. This was the style oil filter that was mounted to the oil pump. Scott installed this.
I had some oil pressure issues at first. What was found I was over filling with oil. The cam gets in the oil and will make the oil foam if the level is to high. It don't take much to over fill one. The 1/2 vw don't hold much oil. A sump would be nice for this little engine just for this reason. But this is another subject for another thread.
Tony

Dee

Dee you got the motor with the little sump underneath? In case you don't already know there's an oil screen in there and like lr27 said I always check mine a few hours in on a new motor and change the oil...yeh it never hurts.
I dunno if Scott is still using the same breather setup I got but on mine if I put 2 qts in it will blow out about a half quart. On mine it goes all over the PIC left knee. Part of the fun. I only use 1.5 qt.
I have a cooler and remote filter on order from Scott. When it comes in I will install cooler and filter; check & clean sump screen; change oil; then fly again. Got 4 hours on engine (and UltraCub) now. Thanks for the info. Dee

Dee

My 1/2vw built by Scott Casler had oil pressure over 80 PSI when cold. Once hot or at operating temp oil pressure was around 60psi. Normal oil temp on this engine was 160 degree's. A little to cold for my taste but it is what it is. Mine also had an oil filter. This was the style oil filter that was mounted to the oil pump. Scott installed this.
I had some oil pressure issues at first. What was found I was over filling with oil. The cam gets in the oil and will make the oil foam if the level is to high. It don't take much to over fill one. The 1/2 vw don't hold much oil. A sump would be nice for this little engine just for this reason. But this is another subject for another thread.
Tony
Thanks Tony, What oil quantity do you find works best ?

N8053H

Thanks Tony, What oil quantity do you find works best ?
A 1/2 vw don't hold much. Two quarts and it is almost over full. I found on my dip stick the oil level had to be right between the low oil mark and the high oil mark. Scott can give you the exact amount needed for the 1/2 vw. But it is not a lot.