• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

High Oil Temp Anomaly

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dee

Currently I have 4 hours on my new 1/2 VW 45hp Hummel engine. With the first 1.5 hours flight time during much climbing (touch-N-Go's) and some rpm’s around 3000, I got no indication of high oil temp (temp was in normal range of 210-220F). Today’s flight of 1.5 hours with virtually the same weather temp and cruising at only 2600 rpm, I suddenly got an oil temp of over 250F. The question is . . . What do you think might have caused my oil temp to suddenly climb to over 250F ? Possibly oil foaming ? The oil level is maintained at 2 quarts.[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]My Hummel engine has a Zenith carb with oil tubing coiled around the intake manifold. If high oil temps persist, would you recommend a) simply adding an oil cooler (heat exchanger) or b) removing the oil tubing around the inlet and then adding an oil cooler ?[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Also, [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Should I be using an oil with a non-foaming agent? I’ve heard that this is advantages. What oil is best for the 1/2 VW engine?
[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Also, I have the Zenith carb idle jet set at 1-1/2 turns open and the main jet set at 3 turns open (getting black spark plugs). What is the best jet setting for the 1/2 VW engine?[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT]

Back