• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

High Lift Airfoils for Slow Plane

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

durabol

I'm been considering a moderately high lift airfoil for a non-flapped slow flying airplane that cruises around 120mph and lands at 50mph. Although some airfoil have very high CLs (Coefficient of Lift) topping out at around 2.5 on X-foil they also have a lot of drag as well as being unsteady at low CLs for cruise. I am wondering about using a less aggressive high lift airfoils say with a CL of around 2 which is still quite a bit higher than the standard CLs of 1.5-1.6 (X-foil) for the often used airfoil such as the Clark-Y, 4412, 2412, 23012, ect. The standard airfoils have low drag and also work well with flaps so are good all around airfoils. I guess what I am wondering: is their a window where a slow flying, non-flapped plane could have a substantially smaller wing and not be significantly effected by the increased drag by using a moderately high lift airfoil? If this is reasonable is their any favourite airfoils that fit this requirement?

Back