• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

High Density Foam for Hardpoints

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
I looked and looked, no joy. For several scratchbuilt composite airplanes, the method of attaching control surfaces is including a high density foam block (20 pcf foam, Wicks stocked it) in the massive cores, glass the surface, then imbed hinges in the clock of high density foam.

Trouble is I can not find 20 pcf foam anywhere and mine is used up. I did find companies that list that density and others near it, but none of their distributors have any of it, and the maker is only interested if you want a semi-trailer full of it. Anybody know what the currently used options are for this sort of construction?

I can make syntactic foam using simple molds and dry micro at about 32-35 pcf (about 0.51-0.55 g/cm^3) but using a previously engineered material is always a better option in my mind...

Billski

Back