Hi there, a rookie first words…

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Guinart

I had lost many years thinking about this, engaging an ultralight builder’s community… That is because my very low possibilities to build my own airplane due to so many reasons and the dam time… However, with the hope to push my projects beyond a bunch of simple ideas on my computer, I will try to find the necessary knowledge and kind help here… A kind of “qualified” plans will be enough for me, I think… :)

Thanks to this Forum for the opportunity,

Have a nice day!

Guinart

Welcome, where are you located and what sort of project did you have in mind?
Thanks for the welcome!

I´m currently in Havana. Since about 20 years, I´m thinking on ways to design ultralights using simple techniques and materials. At first glance, looks important to me reducing tooling, sort of materials and simplifying manufacture process as much as possible.

The most finished idea I have are those in the attached pictures. Elemets position and wings are grossly calculated, not the tubes diameter however, nor joins. But I´m not sure if this is exactly where I want to invest my time… With years I´m feeling I want something more advanced as concept. Maybe something good for long trips, a kind of side-by-side all metal wings and more streamlined.

A total mess here :)

Attachments

pwood66889

Your .jpg's look creditable to me. Do you have any access to plans for any ultralight? Mini-Max series free over the `net, but they are wood.
Looking at how others have gone about it is a good start.

Riggerrob

Bienvenito,
Your sketches look flyable.
Your biggest challenges will be finding aircraft quality hardware. Do you know any technicians who work for Air Cuban or the Cuban Air Force.
You can save yourself thousands of hours and a lifetime of risk if you just built to the plans of a popular ultra-light.
The Cuban climate is a huge advantage for you because you do not have to worry about cabin heat ... like many of us North Americans. Hah! Hah!

TFF

My son’s grandfather is Cuban so I always am interested in the culture. What is the government climate to have a powered plane?
There is a glider called the Goat that might be a good place to start learning to fly, if you need to learn. Plans are on the Internet.

TFF

Nope. His mom’s step dad actually. His parents sent him to college here just before Castro took over all the way. He had been “drafted” as a teen, but got away. The guys that kidnapped Fangio the race driver were those guys.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I love the sketches, a very straightforward design. I suppose it comes down to the regulatory situation in Cuba today--what approvals are required, how much engineering or test data, and whether an original Cuban design or an existing foreign design would be easier to get approved. Given the longtime positive relationship between Cuba and France, a French design might be well received. Maybe one of Daniel Dalby's designs like the Cubchel, Scoutchel, Demoichelle, or Pouchel Light? Membership in the APEV association is 25€ and PDF plans are 60€ per design (120€ on paper).

1631171239204.png 1631171266470.png 1631171320092.png 1631171783616.png

Reactions: 103

Gregory Perkins

Guinart-
If you made those 3D sketches yourself, what drawing tool did you use ? I thought they were very impressive.
In the event you are limited by material availability and flying rules to just a glider that could be towed
aloft for short glides, I would recommend a VJ-11 3-axis controlled hang glider. In the past, others have
attached a fixed seat and wheels if you are so inclined. Also a modernized and upgraded WOODHOPPER
could be considered if you could use a small engine and you yourself are not too big.

Attachments

Guinart

Your .jpg's look creditable to me. Do you have any access to plans for any ultralight? Mini-Max series free over the `net, but they are wood.
Looking at how others have gone about it is a good start.
Yes, I studied some of plans... No so much however. At the moment I conceive it (about 2005) I did use a kind of guide in an old and small book written for few guys, retired engineers of Nasa and Boeing if I recall well, about the general rules and calculations to build ultralight/light aircrafts. However, I cannot remember the name of the book now, but I can ask to the friend who lent it to me.

Guinart

I love the sketches, a very straightforward design. I suppose it comes down to the regulatory situation in Cuba today--what approvals are required, how much engineering or test data, and whether an original Cuban design or an existing foreign design would be easier to get approved. Given the longtime positive relationship between Cuba and France, a French design might be well received. Maybe one of Daniel Dalby's designs like the Cubchel, Scoutchel, Demoichelle, or Pouchel Light? Membership in the APEV association is 25€ and PDF plans are 60€ per design (120€ on paper).

View attachment 115303 View attachment 115304 View attachment 115305 View attachment 115307
An aircraft construction here has been still is and I´m assuming will be for many years a huge challenge. And then there is the matter of aviation resources, it ridiculous just thinking about this... That is why I´m not inclined to spend time and money trying to build and aircraft here.

When I say “qualified plans will be enough for me” I meant: I want/need to create my own design but I have not the knowledge to “certify” this design as good, I will need a lot of help with that. But I did not express myself well enough, it is my poor English, sorry for that :)

It is my dream to become an ultralight designer, it is a personal matter. I have an age at which old projects/dreams needs to be faced or just let them go. If one day I were able to build it and flying it then… -Big smile on my face- But I do know that will not be here, sadly.

BTW: Thanks a lot for your comment about my sketches! So, I think, there is a valid way for me :)

Last edited:

Guinart

Guinart-
If you made those 3D sketches yourself, what drawing tool did you use ? I thought they were very impressive.
In the event you are limited by material availability and flying rules to just a glider that could be towed
aloft for short glides, I would recommend a VJ-11 3-axis controlled hang glider. In the past, others have
attached a fixed seat and wheels if you are so inclined. Also a modernized and upgraded WOODHOPPER
could be considered if you could use a small engine and you yourself are not too big.
The software I using is Gmax, a well known 3D editor in the flight simulator world. Is pretty old one but it is free, ease to use and I´m using it since it first release around 2001¿? I have been modeling flight simulators add-ons, but I think it may be useful for assisting actual aircraft designs (maybe not at micrometer detail). There are more professional tools of course, but I do not have it :)

Yes, a glider based design has a huge attractive for me. A kind of powered glider is exactly my other idea is about, a traveler guy… I will start to working on it, I think, before take a decision... I will begin studiying similar models. Thanks!

pwood66889

"It is my dream to become an ultralight designer, it is a personal matter. I have an age at which old projects/dreams needs to be faced or just let them go. If one day I were able to build it and flying it then… -Big smile on my face- But I do know that will not be here, sadly."
I dream also, Guinart. And keeping it alive at my age and in my circumstances, takes effort. Some days it is beyond me. And yet, I dream.

"Yes, a glider based design has a huge attractive for me."
Please visit Mike Sandlin's site...
Technical Drawings (not "plans") are available for your free examination/download:

Wish you the best of luck, mi amigo.
Percy in NW FL, USA

Guinart

"It is my dream to become an ultralight designer, it is a personal matter. I have an age at which old projects/dreams needs to be faced or just let them go. If one day I were able to build it and flying it then… -Big smile on my face- But I do know that will not be here, sadly."
I dream also, Guinart. And keeping it alive at my age and in my circumstances, takes effort. Some days it is beyond me. And yet, I dream.

"Yes, a glider based design has a huge attractive for me."
Please visit Mike Sandlin's site...
Technical Drawings (not "plans") are available for your free examination/download:

Wish you the best of luck, mi amigo.
Percy in NW FL, USA
Thanks for the links I´m on it... I will check those technical drawings right now :)
Thank you for your words,
Have a good night!