Quantcast

Hi New Member here

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Amsafetyc

Hi all my name is John, I been building my Pietnpol aircamper for what will soon be 3 years. I have the fuse structure built , wing panels and tail feathers. I still eneed to get my hardware finished and my engine.

The Piet is an open cockpit high wing mono plane that is all plans built from a 1929 design. So no kits are available. I am loving the build process and the outcome I expect the first flight in 2 years or less.

The piet is designed to fly with a powerplant that runs from a 45 hp Model A engine to 110 hp Corvair and pretty much anything in the middle. I am using the Lycoming 0235 C1B powerplant which I am in the middle of rebuilding at the present time.

I travel quite a bit with my work and am always lookg for an aiirport or project in the area to visit other builders, look at projects, talk about building or just plane flying.

I have apassion ofr aviation and love to share that with everyone I meet.

I am looking forward to meeting and learning about you and your projects.

John

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Welcome John! You chose a great plane, and I think you'll find that you chose a great forum too!

Did you build your fuselage in the original wood version or the newer welded tube version?

Bruce :)

Amsafetyc

Sticks and glue the airframe is all poplar along with the wing structural components. The ribs are spruce and the landing gear, flying struts and cabane struts as all laminated Mahogney and Ash with inlaid metal at fastening points. Fastening hardware and fittings will be all stainless. The great part about the plans built piet is its open to modification, the not so great part is its open to modifications. I made mie a few inches wider than design in the long fuse version. That made all the radius dimensions for instrument boards turtle deck and top side features out side of the design raidus making it take a bit longer to figure out, bukd and get the correct look.

Not many in GA know what the Piet is or what its about, which makes the process all the more fun.

What are you building?

bmcj

HBA Supporter
What are you building?
I've got an Avid Flyer Mk4 under construction and I've got my Starduster Too apart for maintenance and inspection.

I've also helped on various other homebuilts in the past and have done ground up restorations on a number of vintage aircraft (Cub, Champ, Interstate, Howard) and done restore work (as part of a team) on WW-2 Mustangs and Bearcat.

I am working toward starting a Piet building group and club for disadvantaged and at-risk kids out here where I live.

Bruce :)

Amsafetyc

Sounds like you been around the block with building. This is my first so I have much to learn and much to do. Witht he exception of my EAA tech guy visiting I have actually had little or no on site help with it. Thats not a bad thing it just requires more worl in figuring things out.

On the pietenpol-list@matronics.com board I bellieve there are or will be a new bulder or 2 in the Freson area, fyi.

Actually I just stumbled on this today I been on the matronics one for a few years now and have met and made friends with some really neat people.

Have you been able to get out to Brodhead at all ? I just went to my 3rd one and its great. For me it was Christmas in July, I am already counting down to Brodhead 2010.

John

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Have you been able to get out to Brodhead at all ? I just went to my 3rd one and its great. For me it was Christmas in July, I am already counting down to Brodhead 2010.

John
No I haven't been there, but would like to some day. I have been on the Matronics list but don't spend much time there (none recently)... been busy at home and on this and the Starduster forums. :gig: