Hi. Indie Filmmaker here

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

an1987

Hi Guys,
My name's Annis Naeem. I've always had an interest in RC planes and built some as a kid.

At the moment, I'm currently making a visual effects heavy short film that is self funded. It includes a bunch of F117's going in an aerial fight with some alien ships. Instead of creating every single shot from scratch in computer that would cost me a lot of time in my room, I had the idea that I would try to look for someone that may have an RC model of an F117 living in California, Arizona, Nevada. I live in Los Angeles, so I can drive out with my camera guy at some point and film.

This would obviously be paid albeit nothing crazy as it's self funded and not a major motion picture or anything. We can try to figure out what the person finds to be fair compensation for a few hours of their time.

This may not be the best place to post, but I figured I'd post it in introductions since this is the reason I am here. Thanks in advance, and have a great day!

JamesG

Hi there,

First off, an F-117 won't be much good against "aliun ships" unless it can drop a bomb on them on the ground. They have no air-to-air capability. You ought to use an F-22 or F-35.

Its hard to imagine how filming a "live" sub-scale model in front of scenery could possibly be cheaper or produce better results that green-screening a CG or static scale model in front of same pans.

But good luck with your project.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
There are numerous large scale RC groups in California. In Central Cal, they there is one that flies out of their field in Madera Ranchos (just north of Fresno). In the LA basin, I would suggest you take a Saturday trip to Mile Square Regional Park in Fountain Valley... there is a lot of model flying down there.

You should also be able to gain some leads from RC model forums or local RC hobby shops.

(Your intro question reminds me of when I knew James Cameron before he had made a name for himself. At that time, he was writing a movie script and building an RC version of a Quicksilver ultralight.)

cheapracer

Log Member
So the Aliens are from your Annis?

Rather than choosing a F117 first, why not go to a major RC Club and choose from what they have on hand?

TerryM76

HBA Supporter
So the Aliens are from your Annis?

Rather than choosing a F117 first, why not go to a major RC Club and choose from what they have on hand?
So I guess we can assume these aliens to be Klingons?

I would bet we will see more and more Large scale RC being used for these applications especially with the development of better camera systems as used in FPV roles.