Quantcast

Hi how are ya?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Sonex1517

So I figured I’d introduce myself, since I usually lurk but am probably gonna be posting more.

I’m Robbie Culver, builder and pilot of a Sonex taildragger. Based at Clow (1C5) in Chicagoland.

it has a Jabiru 3300 after a brief and uneasy relationship with a Turbo AeroVee and then after we removed the turbo, a normally aspirated AeroVee.

I’m a member of EAA 461 (hi Wayne!) and an active aviation photographer.

Currently I’m helping drive an effort to complete a Pietenpol project we were given.

Life long Aviation addict, former skydiving photographer, and all around airplane geek.

akwrencher

HBA Supporter
You have built a plane that flies. My bet is you will end up having something useful to contribute to someone.

D_limiter

Lifetime Supporter
Welcome! My daughter went skydiving once, and had it video taped. It was fun to see her experience, and props to the folks that make it possible!

azevedoflyer

Bet you will be learning a lot about glueing with your Piet!
Just like me, building a Double Eagle!
Came to the right
forum. Lot’s of expertise available.
Welcome!
azevedoflyer😎

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Welcome! I bet I am not the only one who would love to hear about your Sonex engine adventures to see if there any lessons to be learned for us all.

Sonex1517

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

The Pietenpol project is covered and in great shape. (It was moved from Wisconsin to Illinois) We plan to put a Continental 65 on it. It was built for a Corvair, so there are some challenges with the engine mount and differences in weight.

The Sonex. Short story is I was flying along in June 2018 by Byron, IL when I lost oil pressure. Made a landing at a private farm runway that no one had landed at in close to 20 years. We trucked the plane out, pulled the AeroVee and installed a Jabiru 3300.

The lesson for all - you have heard it before - be trained, be ready, and FLY THE PLANE!

That’s the short version.