Quantcast

Hi from South Africa

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

SafariPilot

Hhi all, Mike Wright here. Im in south Africa and on my third build project, all three on the go. Dreamer and hoarder of note! My first project is a scratch build Viking Dragonfly near completion, but have discovered it is not really a go places plane in the SA world where bush flying is the name of the game, so I am currently half way through building a KFA Safari, which for all intents and purpose is a crib by KFA of the Kitfox series, where its roots lie.
Hope to use this a a how to resource going forward.
I am also the ACME AERO agent for Africa and Australasia , supplying aircraft shock systems to the bush flyers!

pwood66889

And my welcome also, Mike.
Is "Bush Flying" due to the lack of public airports in So. Africa, or just be cause more available?
Enjoy your summer!
Percy in NW FL, USA

milegrin

Michael G this end of the keyboard; just purchased a 90% complete, 50% done KR2 and looking forward to flying in South Africa once it is complete!

don january

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Michael G welcome to HBA and please do tell more of your KR-2. Is it retract gear and what engine do you plan on installing ? Picture are always a plus. Welcome aboard

milegrin

Michael G welcome to HBA and please do tell more of your KR-2. Is it retract gear and what engine do you plan on installing ? Picture are always a plus. Welcome aboard
Thank you greatly for the welcome

It is a long story I only know part of. Originally started in 1985 (Build #6834) it reached the stage it is in around 2005 It changed hands not so long ago and Sarel realized he has too many projects and I made an offer and now she is parked under my carport as off a few days ago.
Currently a fixed under-carriage tail dragger but I will converting to a trike (at least for now). She comes with an AeroVee 2180 Turbo that has been test run but otherwise stored separately. She is still the 80's KR-2 stock design so I will need to incorporate some of the advancements and improvements made since then.
kr2-mine-lhs-2011.jpgkr2-mine-panel-2011.jpgkr2-mine-rhs-2011.jpg

The fuselage is complete, both stabilisers, rudder and elevators and the wings (currently removed). The cockpit exists but the interior not so much. the rudder pedals are and connected but not the stick. The cowling is done but needs to be sanded down and painted after some touch ups.

I have the forward nose wheel to convert to a trike and wanting to do it in such a way that switching between tail-dragger and trike is reasonably easy.

I am also going to make the wings fold-able to store her in a trailer, not only to save hangar fees (when you can find a hangar) but also take her with when we travel.

Lots of ideas but time will tell how many are feasible and how many reach fruition :)

She is a project from myself and my two boys to hopefully complete and get flying in the next year or three.

My says she should be KR-1⅓ as the cabin is a tight fit for 2 but it has been my dream as far back I can remember to fly my own plane and I'll take it!