Hi - from New Zealand

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
The CAP 10 is a factory built planes, but I think you can still get plans for the Emeraude, which is the original homebuilt version.

-Dana

The dinosours died because they didn't have a space program!

seagull61785

Thanks Dana,

Yes I am aware that the CAP 10 is/was a type certificated and factory built aircraft. But there is at least one example flying in the USA (registration number 'N15MR') that was totally homebuilt in the Experimental category. The builder substituted a welded steel fuselage for the factory-produced wooden one, and made some structural improvements to strengthen the wing spars plus some other design improvements for better handling. I just wanted to know if anyone knew where I could get a copy of the plans to build one.

Thanks

Barry

Mac790

The CAP 10 is a factory built planes, but I think you can still get plans for the Emeraude, which is the original homebuilt version.
A few drawings for CAP 10, were released http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/new-member-introductions/5956-introduction-question.html#post50931, I'm wondering about others, probably it would be better to get plans for Super Emeraude , there is French forum related to those (and others) planes, take a look here Galerie Photos Avions Piel - Accueil.

Seb

Joe Fisher

A home builder in the US can call his airplane anything her wants to. Some one would have no problem building using Super Emeraude plans or just scratch building and calling it a Cap10 if he wanted to.
The one I finished (see my albums) is just about the best flying airplane I have ever flown. But I learned from that that building an all wood airplane is a real humbling experience, welding a steel tube frame is so much easier. After I flew it I gave a lot of thought to building one for my self. I would build a 4130 fuselage and tail. The landing gear is a real hassle and is poorly attached to the wing and has a lot of potential to damage the wings. So I would use Whittman style gear attached to the engine mount.

Last edited:

seagull61785

Thank you Joe,

What I'm trying to achieve is a real Cap 10, not a souped-up Emeraude. Though I have always admired the lines of the Emeraude I want something I can throw around a bit. After having researched the issues the factory-built CAP 10's have had with wooden spar cap problems, Airworthiness Directives, etc and the irregularities of French factory engineering it seems that a plans-built version would be the way for me to go. You are dead right - the welded steel fuselage is more attractive to build than a wooden one. Also building it in the experimental category would allow me to have some 'tune-up' work done on the AE-IO-360 these things are powered by. I remember back in the 70's reading a report on an EAA member who sent his project Lycoming to his local racing car engineering workshop for a tune and tidy up. They were horrified at the 'imbalance' and general 'Ho-Hum' standard of the the whole aero engine and got to rebuild it to a 'race car engine' standard. Things like balancing the pistons, polishing and tuning all the innards that normally pass for OK by Mr Lycoming. When it was bolted back on his Experimental category aircraft he had virtually eliminated vibration, it ran smoother - not to mention quieter, he got a dramatic improvement in performance and fuel efficiency and it ran very sweetly all round. A homebuilt CAP 10 set up this way would give me a delightful cross-country machine, plus the full inverted strength and capability whenever I got the urge to turn it upside down.

I checked out the drawings suggested by Mac790 - I'm not sure if they are for a radio-controlled scale model, as I have seen others for the CAP 10 around the net, (beautifully drawn), but all for flying scale models nevertheless.

I'll keep looking.

Cheers

Barry