Hi call me Cooper, just got a J3 kitten by Hipps superbirds

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Scooper

HBA Supporter
If you want to fly PT 103, you better de register it and turn in the airworthiness certificate. Forever after don’t mention it ever had an N number. Remove evidence of it from the plane. Essentially it needs to be a different entity. How you deal with it being overweight is up to you as long as you don’t talk about it. How or what is ok, but once you lock in, follow the story. You don’t want to be caught flying without a license or a de registered airplane; you don’t want a tale of how you did it. Overweight UL is rarely investigated. If you did, someone had it out for you and knew the story. At that point it better be 254 lbs.
Good advice.

Daleandee

I would never suggest that anyone fly an illegal aircraft. I have a friend that has an ultralight that is just a bit over the limit and the weight reductions continue. Many will say, "if it looks like a duck" and that might hold true for them. I've heard that the feds aren't much concerned with a lawn chair that has five gallons of fuel and a single seat as they tend hold to the belief that suicide is legal and homicide is not. Besides, they have much larger fish to fry.

Still, if one were going to fly an overweight craft I would not ever do it in a deregistered aircraft and especially one that has had it's registration and owner drawn out on the internet. Besides, once you learn to fly you will want to share it. So take the time to get legal (even a lowly Sport Certificate) and enjoy the airplanes you have and the opportunity to share it with others.

Just one old man's opinion ...

Last edited:

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
so I have important question, so I see my craft has "N" numbers so that means it has airworthy inspection by FAA agent?? and should it have a FAA airworthiness certificate when I receive the aircraft, how does that work? since Im going part 103 route should I unregister it? IM sure I can run the "N" numbers somewhere to get any data? I know what your thinking I should of done this research before I bought aircraft.
DO NOT deregister it!!!!!

I need to buy that paperwork and registration from you to use for something. If you want to fly part 103 talk to me first :):):):)

soupercooper

HBA Supporter
If you want to fly PT 103, you better de register it and turn in the airworthiness certificate. Forever after don’t mention it ever had an N number. Remove evidence of it from the plane. Essentially it needs to be a different entity. How you deal with it being overweight is up to you as long as you don’t talk about it. How or what is ok, but once you lock in, follow the story. You don’t want to be caught flying without a license or a de registered airplane; you don’t want a tale of how you did it. Overweight UL is rarely investigated. If you did, someone had it out for you and knew the story. At that point it better be 254 lbs.
thank you for this info "TTF", I will research all this advice from everyone

Last edited:

soupercooper

HBA Supporter
Welcome Soupercooper; I'm another Cooper a bit north of you in Sonoma County. That Reliant SX looks pretty cool.

Here's the FAA Registry on your J-3 Kitten N3978W. The biggest issue you'll face flying under 103 is whether it meets the requirements of the FAR regarding empty weight, fuel capacity, speeds, etc. It is registered as an Experimental/Amateur-Built which means it has a special airworthiness certificate and an FAA "Operating Limitations" document which is part of the airworthiness certificate and needs to be carried in the airplane at all times. As far as I know, there is no reason you can't fly it under part 103 as long as it meets the part 103 requirements.

The specs for the Reliant SX with the Rotax 447 list the empty weight as 285 pounds, which is probably why the builder registered it. At that weight, it doesn't qualify for operation under part 103.

View attachment 101125
hello Scooper (coopers rule!), thanks a million for obtaining this info,very very helpful. I am blessed to be a part of this forum. I go pick up aircraft next week, I will join a EAA chapter as well, if any other groups to seek for or join let me know.

soupercooper

HBA Supporter
DO NOT deregister it!!!!!

I need to buy that paperwork and registration from you to use for something. If you want to fly part 103 talk to me first :):):):)
Im getting different advice as expected and now concerned on what to do, but I am willing to talk to you Mr. Bravo.

soupercooper

HBA Supporter
Just picked up this ultra pup a couple weeks ago and spent 2 hours in the air in a champ for training tuesday,Tuesday, to see the preceptors still alive after their messed up story
what is Preceptors story that's messed up? I almost bought a N3 Pup.

Woofbite

Thanks "Woofbite" for the Facebook link to N3 PUP and J3 kitten I'll definitely check it out, I almost bought a N3 pup instead but seller dropped the ball on me and by time he responded with a final offer I l already bought the J3 kitten but I think everything turned out well in the end. N3 PUP has folding wings of which was very important feature for me to have, I missed out on that option though and may regret it. J3 mfg claims easy removal of wings for transport or storage but we'll see about that. I was serious about a kolb or badlands (kitfox lite) during my shopping spree but those slipped through my fingers as well. Im sad about the situation at Badlands as they wont return my emails or phone calls anymore, they responded slowy for a short time but now no more so I cant deal with that kind of business practice. I really like what badlands (kitfox lite) has to offer, did you see his titanium airframe option? (yet pricey of course), Badlands got some great ideas but maybe just overwhelmed right now. and he is a very fresh start up company. I wish all folks that take a risk to start a business well, I hope they do well in the end anyhow.
I am REALLY SORRY to hear Badlands isnt reponding. I was in love with the Pup before i got one and when they started to go down hill, it was so sad to see how they left people hanging. Preceptor had a good product and at first it was great support too but when things go down the toilet in aviation, they start with a slow swirl and pick up speed on the way down. Badlands used to be KitFox lite, then the weibe guy got it and started making all kinds of wierd looking one off versions of it. When Badlands picked it up i thought they would be on a roll. Sad to hear

ride

I just got a fresh built brand new J3 kitten by Hipps superbirds with 447 rotax, tell me i got a great airplane suppose to be a great trainer for newbies, did i make a good decision, not much info out there on J3 kitten these days? love to find other J3 kitten owners, its basically a 3/4 scale J3 CUB. FLY SAFE AND SANE EVERYONE.
Ok Cooper, I owned a Hipps J-3 Kitten for seven years, great honest little airplane. Lots of strength in the airframe if it’s built right. I converted mine to a fast back (looked like a baby Citabria). You won’t find another plane like it in that class of airplane. Enjoy!

Ultrapupflyin

The father bob counts passed away i think and the son dwayne took it over and basically took deposits and in some cases full kit amounts and then would not send the customers their kits or parts or money back he ran around for years doing this and,when customers went to bobs old hangar it was empied, he went to prison over it.the guy I bought my plane from here in Alaska I found out due to the mass amount of paper work I have with my plane,was in the process of making modifications to the plane and possibly was going to take over the buisness but he also passed away,if dwayne would of sold out he could of walked away with alot of money and been free to use it,he took the fast illegal money,and plundered it and his fathers good name,no cure for stupid there have been many people that wanted to continue the plane but it looks like it dies with the son.im stl learning this plane and researching the story,maybe dwayne would like to tell his side,id listen,but for now it looks like he had no skill to build kits,he was trying to get the guy in alaska to build them for him....and his greed took over and squashed that...maybe somone else will chime in if I don't have facts strait.also I know the guy from Alaska staney benard was in contact with duwayne till 2016,i have emails from dwayne asking about the secondary fuel bladders in the wings,and a few other things stan was doing,and different weight saving ideas,has any one else seen a Wabasto gas fired heater in one of these planes for cab heat,mine has one,anyway theres part of the story anyhow

Woofbite

[/QUOTE the story is they had a GREAT plane, You could by the plans and build Yourself, buy the kit and build it, or they would build You a complete airplane. It was Bob Counts company then Duwayne started running it. It was good for awhile then he started taking money for parts and kits that he didnt deliver, then he fell off the map and people were left hanging and had no customer support. not sure what happened but that was pretty much it. Also, if You were building Yourself, plans were there but there was very little to help you figure parts of the build out

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
If there is a decent size market for this airplane then there is a perfectly good way to keep the design alive. There is nothing proprietary or 'secret rocket science' in this airplane whatsoever. There are hundreds of shops that can weld up the fuselages based on measurements of an original one. No matter what the design of the wing is, it can be duplicated. Change the shape of the tail and wingtips, change the shape of the cowling, move the fabric-forming stringers around a little, and call it the Neo-Pup, Nu-Pup, or the Labra-Doodle. We now have several perfect engines for it (O-100, HKS, Apex, 912), so if the design is as wonderful as everybody says it is then there is a clear opportunity.

soupercooper

HBA Supporter
Ok Cooper, I owned a Hipps J-3 Kitten for seven years, great honest little airplane. Lots of strength in the airframe if it’s built right. I converted mine to a fast back (looked like a baby Citabria). You won’t find another plane like it in that class of airplane. Enjoy!
hey "ride" turns out mine is a Reliant SX which is a fastback, I love the fastback look for sure. you talk about airframe (4130 chromoly) with great strength, any feedback on the wood wings? Im so glad to hear nothing but good comments from this forum on hipps j3 kitten lineup. how easy or difficult is it to remove wings for storage or transport?

Last edited:

soupercooper

HBA Supporter
The father bob counts passed away i think and the son dwayne took it over and basically took deposits and in some cases full kit amounts and then would not send the customers their kits or parts or money back he ran around for years doing this and,when customers went to bobs old hangar it was empied, he went to prison over it.the guy I bought my plane from here in Alaska I found out due to the mass amount of paper work I have with my plane,was in the process of making modifications to the plane and possibly was going to take over the buisness but he also passed away,if dwayne would of sold out he could of walked away with alot of money and been free to use it,he took the fast illegal money,and plundered it and his fathers good name,no cure for stupid there have been many people that wanted to continue the plane but it looks like it dies with the son.im stl learning this plane and researching the story,maybe dwayne would like to tell his side,id listen,but for now it looks like he had no skill to build kits,he was trying to get the guy in alaska to build them for him....and his greed took over and squashed that...maybe somone else will chime in if I don't have facts strait.also I know the guy from Alaska staney benard was in contact with duwayne till 2016,i have emails from dwayne asking about the secondary fuel bladders in the wings,and a few other things stan was doing,and different weight saving ideas,has any one else seen a Wabasto gas fired heater in one of these planes for cab heat,mine has one,anyway theres part of the story anyhow
thanks "Ultrapupflyin for giving us the history on N3 PUP. what a bummer.

ncmc47

I don't know Duane Counts personally, but it was a shame that he ran such a good little company into the ground. I've heard he was an exceptional welder, preferring to work on off-shore oil rigs. This only rumor, I also did some checking on him a few years ago, including a call to the prosecutor's office. At that time he may have paid people back, he had no pending charges.

Geraldc

If there is a decent size market for this airplane then there is a perfectly good way to keep the design alive. There is nothing proprietary or 'secret rocket science' in this airplane whatsoever. There are hundreds of shops that can weld up the fuselages based on measurements of an original one.
Plans are readily available on the net that can be built from .
You would not in my opinion infringe on any copyright because everyone blatantly copied everyone else back then.
I have copies of 3 different versions where the only difference in the wing drawings is the title block.