Hi all im ken im finishing a preceptor ultra pup

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
The builder sure spent an awful lot of time with a roll of masking tape, laying out that paint job! Looks good! It appears that you don't have too much left to do in order to get it flyable.

I hadn't realized the rear seat on that plane was that far forward. There is not a lot of room between the seats, and the passenger's feet are well forward. Are the seats as narrow as they look?

Ultrapupflyin

Yes the rear fits me pretty good in 511 225,and the fronts adjustable back and with rear stick I fit in it too but it's like a half cheek seat lol

Ultrapupflyin

Its supposedly a inch short from rear bars to instrument panel ,then a j3 cub,and wider than a j3 side to side

Ultrapupflyin

If any one can tell me why the inboard flaps are not controlable and just hinge that would be awsome.im lost there,that would be awsome

Ultrapupflyin

1 Redo windshield,just not happy with my work it must equal the original owners work ,so I'll do it a hundred times if needed,2 hook up cables for alerons adjust and safety wire 3figure out the inboard flaps 4 mount the door and hinge,5 install the nose and firewall cowling 6 clean up more wiring ,routing and ties, and re inspect

akwrencher

HBA Supporter
For safety wiring, I might try u tube. See if you get some hits with aviation turn buckle safety wire or something like that. Sure is a pretty airplane.

Edit add: I'm sure there are many here who can explain it, but if you are a visual learner like me, a 2 minute vid can save a lot of mental strain.... Lol.

Ultrapupflyin

Akwrencher,again thanks I was typing in turn buckle saftey wire but left out aviation,I watched a couple videos and now understand how to check cable tension,and saftey wire btw I see your from alaska maybe one day I'll fly down and check out your neck of the woods,thanks again.

akwrencher

HBA Supporter
Anytime. We have lots of runway here. Keep us posted as things progress. Curious how the plane performs.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Ultrapupflyin, you have what looks like a nicely built airplane there. Can't tell everything from photos, but we can usually tell a piece of junk, and that airplane is definitely not a piece of junk.

So you done good so far :)

I suggest you immediately get a free download from the FAA for the "Approved Methods and Practices" manual, AC 43.13. This will absolutely be your "Bible" on how to work on, adjust, repair, and understand your airplane. It's much better to have the printed version of this book in your workshop, but if you can only have it available on a computer or large phone screen it's also OK.

There is a whole section on safety wire for turnbuckles, and a thousand other things you need to know.

After seeing the photo of your airplane folded, I am almost 100% sure those small "flaps" are there to allow the wings to fold... they are not aerodynamic flaps. They do not get controlled from the cockpit, they only are folded open or closed when you are folding and unfolding the wings.

Woofbite

they are called false flaps. when the wings fold they are connected to the wing by a long section of piano hinge material. before You fold the wings, the flaps fold underneath the wing and are fastened in place. Per the manufacturers advice, before You fold the wings, make sure the false flaps are secured in place. if they arent, when the wing swings back it can take out the turtledeck and do a lot of damage to the plane

Mac Hodges

A friend of mine bought a Pup a couple of weeks ago and I flew it home for him. It has the folding wing option and the fixed flaps are removeable to allow the wings to fold. His has three 6" piano hinges across the bottom and 3 across the top on each fixed flap. Just remove 6 pieces of piano wire on each flap and remove the flaps. The vertical spacing of the hinges is 4 1/2". Flaps are about 46" span and 14" chord.

Attachments

Kenshow

Update life happened and I sold the plane,but it sat in a storage unit for 5 months and lie happened to the new owner so I have it back,I've decided to send it to a real aviation shop,I cant do this plane justice like they can,so I'll spend the money and have it done right,I guess I was meant to own and one day fly this plane.i sent it away and it came back so now it's time to give the little bird whatever it needs.