Hey - why is no one build Heath Parasols anymore???

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Kevin N

Thats not the video I saw but that is a cool airplane. The video I'm talking about featured a guy who used his airplane to commute to work. He landed in a field next to his employment. I'm pretty sure it was a mini max.

Autodidact

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Forgive me if someone already said this, but I think the answer to the original question (why is no one build Heath Parasols anymore) might be that they are not widely promoted (advertised) and I'm not even sure if the plans are still available.

Last edited:

Cy V

Thats not the video I saw but that is a cool airplane. The video I'm talking about featured a guy who used his airplane to commute to work. He landed in a field next to his employment. I'm pretty sure it was a mini max.
Yeah, that's the one I remember, too. It was definitely a Mini Max with a Verner radial.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Forgive me if someone already said this, but I think the answer to the original question (why is no one build Heath Parasols anymore) is that they are no widely promoted (advertised) and I'm not even sure if the plans are still available.
Sure they are, they are $10 and inside the reprinted Flying & Glider manual from EAA. The problem is size, few people can fit in them. The baby ace just makes more sense from a size perspective not to mention the prints are far better.

Last edited:

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Sure they are, they are $10 and inside the reprinted Flying & Glider manual from EAA. The problem is size, few people can fit in them. The baby is just makes more sense from a size perspective not to mention the prints are far better.
There you go! People want cheap plans, but plans are cheap, they think that means that they're not worth buying.

lr27

A full size Moustique (1 & 1/2 seater?) would be another perfect airplane for Pete's o-100.
So you'd need two airplanes to transport 3 people? How do potential passengers feel about that?

However many seats, I now need an airplane that sounds like that. At least if it has to have an engine at all. Maybe someone can program a "translator" function into noise cancelling headphones? Heck, I'd like my car to sound like that.

Sure they are, they are $10 and inside the reprinted Flying & Glider manual from EAA. The problem is size, few people can fit in them.
In this day and age, you can take the Flying and Glider manual plans enlarged, you know. ;-p

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
A full size Moustique (1 & 1/2 seater?) would be another perfect airplane for Pete's o-100.
I know Autodidact is very familiar with the Moustique, but for anyone else there is an extensive thread about the sole two-seat Farman F.455 here and nice photos from the French national museum here. And now back to Heath Parasols....

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter

Wanttaja

Forgive me if someone already said this, but I think the answer to the original question (why is no one build Heath Parasols anymore) might be that they are not widely promoted (advertised) and I'm not even sure if the plans are still available.
Sure they are, they are $10 and inside the reprinted Flying & Glider manual from EAA. The problem is size, few people can fit in them. The baby ace just makes more sense from a size perspective not to mention the prints are far better.
Shoot, there's about six good reasons:

1. No flying examples to get people interested (or very few, treated as antiques rather than day-to-day sportplanes).
2. No major owner's group or web pages to push the design.
3. No kits or even material packages available.
4. No real "plans" other than a dozen or so of reprinted magazine pages.
5. No room in the cockpit for modern-sized pilots.
6. No second seat.

Notice that the Fly Baby turns the first five "No"s to "Yes"... but even at that, only about 25 sets of Fly Baby plans are sold each year.

Ron Wanttaja

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
It doesn't take anything special to design a one seat Homebuilt using a certified engine from a two seat Champ.
Building a successful motorcycle or auto conversion is difficult and has been for 70 years.

One Sky Dog

Didn't know he made a Corvair powered Scout. Seems like that engine would be too much for the Scout. The Model T engine only put out about 20HP. The Corvair puts out about 100HP (more or less).
In my opinion. The Corvair Bernie used was probably the 80 hp 145 cu in running at 2700 or so. To get 100 hp you need a 164 cu in running at 3500 rpm.

Tiger Tim

One hinderance to building a Heath Parasol is the number of variations introduced over the ten-odd years they were originally available. I’m no expert but IIRC there were plans available to scratch build and substantially better aircraft available from the factory as kits or to fly-away. This isn’t just a matter of workmanship but of material selection and engineering. Factory planes had all-welded fuselages while the homebuilder plans specified some brazing, some pinning with rivets made out of roofing nails, and some bicycle spokes.

The Heath is also a little bit smaller than what we modern pilots think we could live with, lower powered, and there are a lot of weenies who are worried that open cockpits are cold. We still like them and want them to exist but often cry out for others to make the commitment so we don’t have to. Face it, you could be building one right now but you’re not. I could be building one too... but I’m not. Such is just how it goes with a lot of these small, marginally powered, cute airplanes.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
There are also plenty of similar designs already out there if you are looking for a cute parasol: Pietenpol Sky Scout and Air Camper, Corben Ace variants (and Poberezny redesigns) and, of course, Eric Clutton's FRED to name just a few.