Hey - why is no one build Heath Parasols anymore???

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

flynmike

Hi Guys. I was wanting to see a Heath Parasol, and was considering building one as a first build; well... along with a Fly Baby. I was wondering if it would be a good candidate for a 1/2 VW rather than an A40. But I can't find one in Southern CA. And I can't find websites with folks building them, or an existing fan club anymore. Anyone know why they're not popular? Folks still seem to be building Baby Ace and other things of that vintage. Too many turnbuckles???
Thanks!
Mike

pwood66889

Yo, Mike. Guess I'm "on base" for the first shot at your post.
I have plans for the Heath Parasol by Graham Lee. Good ones if you know what you are doing and can get help close at hand.
There are also free plans to the Chuck Bird;
Texas Parasol Plans
Texas Parasol aircraft plans, Texas Ranger Parasol experimental, amateur built and light sport aircraft plans.
So "you pays your money and you takes your chance."
I think it would be a do-able build. I just need company and incentive to do it. Give my regards to the LA Area.
Percy in SE Bama

BJC

HBA Supporter
I like them, and wanted one until I was about 10 years old. By that age, I was too tall to fit into the airplane.

Welcome to HBA.

BJC

flynmike

Yo, Mike. Guess I'm "on base" for the first shot at your post.
I have plans for the Heath Parasol by Graham Lee. Good ones if you know what you are doing and can get help close at hand.
There are also free plans to the Chuck Bird;
Texas Parasol Plans
Texas Parasol aircraft plans, Texas Ranger Parasol experimental, amateur built and light sport aircraft plans.
So "you pays your money and you takes your chance."
I think it would be a do-able build. I just need company and incentive to do it. Give my regards to the LA Area.
Percy in SE Bama
Hi Percy! I've heard of these plans - they are not available, correct? Is it for a Super Parasol? Is it tube and gusset like a Graham Lee Nieuport? So you're thinking folks aren't building a Heath because of the more modern variations?
Mike

TFF

Mainly they are not built because there are more refined versions like the Baby Ace and the Pober Pixie. Heath would be fun if you want true vintage. 1/2 VW would not be the best engine but a full VW would probably fly it vintage like. A Lycoming 0-145 would be a good option. A40s are pretty rare although one was for sale here not long ago. If you need to go 1/2 VW a Legal Eagle works well.

rbrochey

HBA Supporter
Good question... I love parasols especially all wood versions... the low and slow guys are at the bottom of the spectrum from what I see.... but that's where I live... fast and flashy have no appeal to me.

pwood66889

"I've heard of these plans - they are not available, correct?"
For more information about the plans,
Sirius Aviation
1717 Wheatfield Dr
Mesquite TX 75149

"Is it for a Super Parasol?"
Don't think so. Do you know what the difference was?

"Is it tube and gusset like a Graham Lee Nieuport?"
No. It is aluminum angle that may be more available where you live.

"So you're thinking folks aren't building a Heath because of the more modern variations?"
No. I think they're not building anything because most folks are into instant gratification.

Percy in SE Bama

rbrochey

HBA Supporter
"I've heard of these plans - they are not available, correct?"
For more information about the plans,
Sirius Aviation
1717 Wheatfield Dr

Mesquite TX 75149

"Is it for a Super Parasol?"
Don't think so. Do you know what the difference was?

"Is it tube and gusset like a Graham Lee Nieuport?"
No. It is aluminum angle that may be more available where you live.

"So you're thinking folks aren't building a Heath because of the more modern variations?"
No. I think they're not building anything because most folks are into instant gratification.

Percy in SE Bama
I think you're right... same thing with guitar building...I have these younger guys come to my shop to build an acoustic guitar 'by hand' and want to know why I don't use a computer... strange world tech has handed us.

Aerowerx

Don't forget the Ragwing RW5. If built as an ultralight a half VW might work. Plans $25.

I am building an RW4 from the same set of plans, by the way. The only significant difference is high wing vs mid wing.

gtae07

Most people probably aren't building aircraft like this because these aircraft have no appeal to them--or at least, not enough appeal to (in their eyes) make it worth the time and effort to build from plans. There's a lot to it that can't just be dismissed as laziness or fatness.

The specifics of what the market for this type of aircraft is, the economics of scratch- vs. kit-building, and the evolution of the homebuilt community have been discussed many times in the recent past, so I'll leave that as an exercise to the reader.

Cy V

I was just looking at some pics of Heath Parasols on the net today. What a beautiful airplane! Truly a shame that more people don't build them these days.

litespeed

They are a nice old classic design. Great looks and a commanding view.

A version kept light and a Verner wv3 radial would be lovely.

2270610078_c5f296bb6b.jpg

Cy V

I had no idea it was so small. Someone should enlarge the design and slap a radial on the front.

litespeed

A texas parasol with slight mods is perfectly suited to the task.

Easy to make it look right and add a 3 or 5 cylinder radial.

And designed weight for a heavier pilot a say 240lbs max. Lighter is better.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Hmmm, I seem to remember another parasol design that you might consider...if I could only remember the name. ;-)

For what it's worth, I have always liked the somewhat potbellied variant of the Heath and would love to see one scaled up about 10% for bigger pilots and more power.

IMG_0131.JPG

Last edited:

Autodidact

I have a set of plans for the Heath that I bought from WW1Aero a couple of years or so ago; they are much like the early Heath from what I remember - the one with pinned and bolted fuselage joints and wire bracing in the bays. A slightly enlarged one for the half VW would be nice and potentially 103 legal (or not...):gig: