Hey guys new here!

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

djmcfall

Gunners, how about a cub on floats with a porta-potty and a wing tent? If you want company get a pet hamster to take with you (that’s about all the weight margin you will have). Make it solar powered so you don’t have to look for fuel stops. Keep dreaming, I love your idea.

gunners

No, not paranoid at all. Having a wingtip grab the water at the wrong time will wreck the airplane every bit as badly as if it was a tree or runway light.
That's what I assumed, how do you think they are managed that risk with the planes wings so low?

This is not insulated...a new design could have more foam structure that also insulates ?
From noise or temperature?

One of the big issues with flying boats is stability on the water. There are broadly 3 solutions, wing tip floats, sponsons and catamaran hulls. Catamaran hulls are attractive but are heavy and draggy. Tip floats are vulnerable to damage in rough water & the loss of one is catastrophic. Most recent designs have gone for sponsons. They can be used to house amphibious gear and fuel as well as a boarding platform.

Another problem is manoeuvring on the water. If an APU is fitted a hydraulic motor powered out drive can be used as manoeuvring propulsion, although sometimes gets deleted in weight trade-offs.

Don't be wedded to a cored fuselage. Many production aircraft use single skin fuselage with internal foam frames cover with one or two layers of glass. Cored fuselages can be not as robust as a single skin.
Hull options are always give and take no perfect answer, but sponsons are of great interest currently while I don't for see me using an APU for it, I have looked into the possibility of electric inbrode motors something alot like a mud tail.
Gunners, how about a cub on floats with a porta-potty and a wing tent? If you want company get a pet hamster to take with you (that’s about all the weight margin you will have). Make it solar powered so you don’t have to look for fuel stops. Keep dreaming, I love your idea.
Haha love it, I think that an electric hybrid plane could be doable for something like this just very tight. A big motivation for the winged winnebago (what I have it saved on my computer under) concept is to beable to crash right away after a long flight. LA to Honolulu may end up being over 10 hours.

blane.c

HBA Supporter
Rough was a little vague, my concern would be with one of those wings hitting the water. Just would be interested in what safty factor they used. Water is just so much more dense then air.
This one gets interesting just after 8:12 into it, start there.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is not insulated...a new design could have more foam structure that also insulates ?
If you lined the inside of the fabric with XPS styrofoam "beadboard", it wouldn't add too much weight while retaining the robust and easily repaired tube and fabric structure.

gunners

This one gets interesting just after 8:12 into it, start there.

Very impressive build, my gut was right I am glad to hear he made it through that wreck okay.

If you lined the inside of the fabric with XPS styrofoam "beadboard", it wouldn't add too much weight while retaining the robust and easily repaired tube and fabric structure.
Are there any good books on tube and canvas construction, also aside from I assume cost would there be any advantage over a carbon composite frame and skin?

Geraldc

This is the technology you need. Americas cup yachting Auckland NZ.
Carbon fibre being pushed to its limits.
1612051724525.png

Aeroboi

How would you pull into a marina to refuel. Seems like it would be difficult to find places to refuel.

gunners

Fold up wings is a must, plan B would be to find an airport, plan C is to just ferry fuel back and forth by hand. While I like the idea of a 100% electric plane I sadly don't thing that is viable at this time. (Batteries will weigh to much.) That said a hybrid plane may actually make some sense. One where the turbo gets used as an APU, so two electric motors and two gas motors. In a long haul the gas motors would be dialed back then the electric motors will take up the slack, the Turbo apu will both supply power to the plane while also recharging the batteries on short flights. Entirely spit balling there just a off cuff idea....