Hey guys new here!

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

gunners

Hey Guys I am new to all this, my end goal is to build a flying yacht and fly it around the world. (Something that will be a bit of a PBY catalina, but longer and maybe wider with similar side pods as seen on a DO24 AA, and a panoramic cockpit like on a super fortress. Twin engine for sure depending on reviews after it comes out I would like to use a pair of condor V12's instead of radials for aerodynamic and I assume there will be a weight savings there as well. Figuring enough fuel storage for ideally 3000 miles, and black/grey and potable water storage as well.) Would love to build most of the plane out of carbon composite ideally foam core for the fuselage and honey come for the wings. (Possibly Kevlar plus carbon on the belly just for safety sake just incase there lies something just under the water.) Of course I will be building a bunch smaller craft first. Possibly even a few of them.

Thanks for reading me very long winded post,

Gunners

Voidhawk9

HBA Supporter
Hi Gunners,
I hope you have a really big budget. This sort of project will run many millions, and would be more of a project for the likes of Scaled Composites than an average homebuilder.

gunners

Yeah for sure this will be a multi year timeframe, its only a pipe dream for the time being. May look into aluminum semi monocoque construction come closer to build time, but that may well be just as big of a project.

gunners

Are you the Mega-Millions winner?
No, but I do work on independent cyber security analysis (bug bounties), and I have a in development HFT and MFT trading strategies. Two big projects for sure, but both will pay off in due time.

narfi

Log Member
2 thoughts,

1. At that scale would a purpose built yacht with fast flying amphibious tender be more practical and allow for more luxurious accommodations for the same build and living budget? This would allow you to have ALL the toys while not limiting your solar, battery, galley, sleeping or living areas.

2. What are the weight comparisons between a composting toilet and an entire toilet/plumbing/blackwater tank in terms of weight?
I plan to start building a large yacht in a few years and have been doing some research and composting toilets have a lot of advantages in terms of simplicity, maintenance, and odder.

gunners

2 thoughts,

1. At that scale would a purpose built yacht with fast flying amphibious tender be more practical and allow for more luxurious accommodations for the same build and living budget? This would allow you to have ALL the toys while not limiting your solar, battery, galley, sleeping or living areas.

2. What are the weight comparisons between a composting toilet and an entire toilet/plumbing/blackwater tank in terms of weight?
I plan to start building a large yacht in a few years and have been doing some research and composting toilets have a lot of advantages in terms of simplicity, maintenance, and odder.
Too answer one, I also have looked into building a boat. The reason I want to have a plane is so should weather necessitate I just get up and go. A flying tender would yield the same advantage my only concern would regard endurance. Too answer number two, I just kinda scribbled that down. My only concern with a compost toilet would be with anything sloshing out. Given the marine track record I highly doubt that would be an issue unless you pull some serious negative G's for some reason.

Further more I doubt this will in any way be cheaper then a boat in any terms after all expenses paid. Most of the difference being in the cost of fuel. While I have no way of knowing what to expect fuel bill wise, I would be shocked if this came out to anywhere near comparable to say taking a speed boat the same distance. (Plane being much higher.)

What is considered Rough water exactly, the waves and the swells?
Rough was a little vague, my concern would be with one of those wings hitting the water. Just would be interested in what safty factor they used. Water is just so much more dense then air.

Last edited:

blane.c

HBA Supporter

Speedboat100

Banned
No, not paranoid at all. Having a wingtip grab the water at the wrong time will wreck the airplane every bit as badly as if it was a tree or runway light.
At one time some people converted PBY Catalinas into flying motorhomes... but that was when gas was cheap, and even so they required a very wealthy owner. More recently, there was the Wilson Global Explorer.

This is not insulated...a new design could have more foam structure that also insulates ?

Jordy Klein

Hey Guys I am new to all this, my end goal is to build a flying yacht and fly it around the world. (Something that will be a bit of a PBY catalina, but longer and maybe wider with similar side pods as seen on a DO24 AA, and a panoramic cockpit like on a super fortress. Twin engine for sure depending on reviews after it comes out I would like to use a pair of condor V12's instead of radials for aerodynamic and I assume there will be a weight savings there as well. Figuring enough fuel storage for ideally 3000 miles, and black/grey and potable water storage as well.) Would love to build most of the plane out of carbon composite ideally foam core for the fuselage and honey come for the wings. (Possibly Kevlar plus carbon on the belly just for safety sake just incase there lies something just under the water.) Of course I will be building a bunch smaller craft first. Possibly even a few of them.

Thanks for reading me very long winded post,

Gunners
[] Hi Gunners, You should speak to a friend of mine that has designed and built many aircraft. His name is Alan Shaw. He pioneered the hydrofoil for surfboards back in the 1970's. He has designed and built a flying prototype (model) of his Flying Yacht design. Perhaps you guys can collaborate?

Attachments

User27

One of the big issues with flying boats is stability on the water. There are broadly 3 solutions, wing tip floats, sponsons and catamaran hulls. Catamaran hulls are attractive but are heavy and draggy. Tip floats are vulnerable to damage in rough water & the loss of one is catastrophic. Most recent designs have gone for sponsons. They can be used to house amphibious gear and fuel as well as a boarding platform.

Another problem is manoeuvring on the water. If an APU is fitted a hydraulic motor powered out drive can be used as manoeuvring propulsion, although sometimes gets deleted in weight trade-offs.

Don't be wedded to a cored fuselage. Many production aircraft use single skin fuselage with internal foam frames cover with one or two layers of glass. Cored fuselages can be not as robust as a single skin.