HERO ULTRALIGHT

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

philr

Here is a design I am working on. Hero has a welded tube fuse and aluminum wing. Fuse construction heavily influenced by XL Eagle and form sort of copying the Tyro MK2. Airfoil Riblett 30-615. Intended for 4 stroke engines like predator or a 1/2 VW. I intend to make part 103 weight. Video and Pictures
I would like it to be open source.HERO1small.jpg

Last edited:

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
I like it! My first "gut reaction" after looking at it for 30 seconds is that I would get in it and fly it.

A few observations:

Vertical tail/rudder looks a bit small
Having the horizontal tail there is a great idea, because you can make a simplified one-piece all-flying tail, reducing the complexity and parts count.
A lot of us here would LOVE to see if a safe aluminum wing and steel fuselage and 4 stroke engine can make Part 103 weight... you'd be one of very few.

TLAR

Banned
I concur with VB
Good job
Vanguard makes a 993cc efi model#61G4 ot 61G3 engine that would be a great choice.
Another method would be to utilize the Skyranger method of construction using bolted aluminum tube. Easy shipping of the kit if you want to go that route
Have a look at the EMG6 electric motor glider for proper rudder/vert stab sizing
Using the Bearhawk LSA airfoil will work
Best wishes

Last edited:

philr

I like it! My first "gut reaction" after looking at it for 30 seconds is that I would get in it and fly it.

A few observations:

Having the horizontal tail there is a great idea, because you can make a simplified one-piece all-flying tail, reducing the complexity and parts count.
A lot of us here would LOVE to see if a safe aluminum wing and steel fuselage and 4 stroke engine can make Part 103 weight... you'd be one of very few.
Yes I think it will be a blast to fly! The all flying stab is something I always wanted to try it will have a light trim tab to provide control input feedback and i would like to make it in flight adjustable. How many sq ft of rudder and fin do you think is right? The wing span is 30 ft. Also considering making the tail boom longer.

Tiger Tim

My thoughts too, except the exact thought was “Rudder looks small... like the Zenair Zipper.” There’s actually a good bit of resemblance between the two designs, IMO. If the tin wing can be made to come in at UL weight then the Hero could well be what the Zipper should have been.

Does anyone know if the Zipper suffered any directional control or stability issues?

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I also love the concept and think it could find a ready audience, but my initial reaction was that the fuselage and boom are a bit too complex. I think that coming to a point at the bottom of the point-down triangular boom and then going back out again for the rest of the triangle makes the structure very busy.

I would use the triangular boom from engine to tail but base down, point up (except in the last bay at the tail the two base tubes come together at the tail post). You could move the horizontal stabilizer to the bottom of the boom if desired and even have a triangular fuel tank. Now the top of the triangular truss forms the attach points for the wings just like triangular cabane struts and all the "frames" that form the sides and back of the fuselage can be simple rectangles or trapezoids with X-bracing or corner bracing. The seat back, for example, would be a single rectangle or trapezoid all the way up to the bottom tubes of the truss.

Another approach would be to eliminate the triangular truss boom from the forward fuselage, and instead bring everything to a point like triangular cabane struts, then built out the existing triangle behind the pilot's head to form the boom for the tail. This reduces the parts count considerably but does't really work with your engine location. It would work with a paramotor engine as a tractor on the nose of the pod or a pusher behind the pod. Taken to its logical conclusion you end up with something all triangle like Ed Fisher's Flitplane.

Untitled presentation (4).jpg

pylon500

I'm not sure on the fixation with fuselages made of lots of little welded steel tubes, when one aluminium tube could do the job, just as in the Eastwood Tyro.
But then again, it's a similar fixation with wanting to use a 25hp half VW's instead of using something like the old 50hp Rotax 503?
(And don't say it's the sound, as I find a chaff cutter as unpleasant as a chain saw :p)
40_Super Cricket 1990.jpg

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I hear you and agree that a simpler structure with fewer parts is usually a better solution. I will point out that standard sizes of 4130 steel tubing are widely available and will likely remain so, whereas large-diameter aluminum tubes for fuselage booms and spars vary in grade and availability. For example, Mike Whittaker’s microlight designs are no longer built because the spar tubes are no longer produced. A built-up boom of steel tubes or wood/plywood or sheet aluminum is more work but buildable anywhere and long into the future.

I have kicked around ideas for a Part 103 ultralight or ultralight-style LSA/microlight using a wood-plywood boom with a steel or aluminum cage hanging below for the pilot and landing gear. The effect is a bit like hanging philr’s Hero cockpit cage below a giant, skinny version of an Ugly Stick RC model airplane. I can live with that. ;-)

1624026920685.jpeg

Last edited:

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
That's not an Ugly Stik by any means, it's way too pretty and is built differently.

There are aluminum tubes in all sizes available, you might have to use a 5 or 6 inch diameter x 1/8" industrial or water pipe tube, and simply have the outside diameter turned down a little. This is possibly very worthwhile, because you can engineer and taper the wall thickness, leaving small "pads" or rings at full thickness where appropriate for the fasteners, etc.

challenger_II

Oh, that is an Ugly Stik. Phil Kraft would pick it out of a line-up, no worries! Just has a square vertical tail, instead of the Fokker'ish/Sopwith'ish tale of the original bird... :)

challenger_II

PhilR: I gather by your wing lay-out, airfoil, and structure, you are essentially adopting the wing from an Ulracruiser?
On your aft fuselage structure, your drawing indicates the third longeron is on the bottom: while this has been done, before, do bear in mind that the tail boom is subjected to predominantly "down" forces, so you have the lower longeron in compression, and the upper longerons in tension.
Not criticizing your design, just giving information, as food for thought.

Over all, I like your idea, and am waiting for drawings to come forth! :)

philr

I'm not sure on the fixation with fuselages made of lots of little welded steel tubes, when one aluminium tube could do the job, just as in the Eastwood Tyro.
But then again, it's a similar fixation with wanting to use a 25hp half VW's instead of using something like the old 50hp Rotax 503?
(And don't say it's the sound, as I find a chaff cutter as unpleasant as a chain saw :p)
View attachment 112056
I have nothing against 2 stroke engines used them lots on snow machines. You can easily take a design like this and add to the fuselage moving the engine forward to get balance right. I like 4 strokes for long time between overhaul and low fuel usage. Lets be real lots of people flew behind model A Ford engines in the Peit and even did aerobatics while looking through a radiator and what was the weight and horsepower? Welded tube been around forever has longevity and I like to sit inside a protective frame. The Tyro was my inspiration. You cant get materials or plans for it currently.

philr

PhilR: I gather by your wing lay-out, airfoil, and structure, you are essentially adopting the wing from an Ulracruiser?
On your aft fuselage structure, your drawing indicates the third longeron is on the bottom: while this has been done, before, do bear in mind that the tail boom is subjected to predominantly "down" forces, so you have the lower longeron in compression, and the upper longerons in tension.

No since the Ultra cruiser is a cantilever design and mine uses lift struts so i am trying for a lighter structure and fabric covering. Current wing structure is 28 lbs.

Reactions: BJC

philr

Yes I hope to have an engineer look at this and advise. Since this is open source I dont have a budget for paying an engineer ..looking for a volunteer.
Current idea is to use 7/8" tube for the single longeron.