• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Here are some spreadsheet graphs I generated from an woldofkrauss database:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumanPoweredDesigner

Interpret these how you like. Half of the outliers either have typos or really jagged polars. These are at Re = 100,000, and include 1200 airfoils. The database copies very well into spread sheets. I only did thicknesses above 8% and L/D above 30 and camber above 1%, and I cut off some of the extremes so the graphs would be zoomed in. I checked out the extremes first, and it did not look like you'd be missing much. Most of the horizontal values are in % of cord. I'm not completely sure how they define trailing angle.

Note: the Cl is Cl max, not Cl @ L/D max.

You can't estimate the drag from the Cl and the L/D max, since the Cl is the Cl max, not the Cl @ L/D max. Cl is included only for stall speed. The strongest correlation here is that increasing camber increases the coefficient of lift. As for airfoil thickness and Cl, I think the only reason we see a correlation at all is that most of the thicker airfoils also have higher camber as a percentage of cord.

Last edited:
Back