Herbert Beaujon- My all time hero !

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Gregory Perkins

Home or this specific page
Tubing Connections I was bouncing around the internet and was happy to find a website that is sharing his work. He wasnt the most accomplished engineer ( was a real estate agent ) but he had the best imagination
and was willing to put ideas on paper far ahead of people doing anything similar.
Apparently they are publishing/sharing his book "How to Build Ultralights."
I talked to him a few decades ago and he said he spent hundreds of hours
in libraries doing the research for his book. Flipping through his paper napkin
design ideas made me feel like a kid again. With todays technology and materials more and more of his ideas should be doable.

Last edited:

pwood66889

Also enjoyed Mr. Boujon's thinking, and exploring some of the things he noodled. I'm just too much into what can be done where I am and with the time I have. Got some of his stuff still on file yet.

rv7charlie

I haven't stayed in a Holiday Inn in a really long time, but my advice is to approach that stuff on that tubing connections page with extreme caution. No doubt it could work for a shade canopy in your back yard, but I wouldn't trust it in an a/c.
ex: the eyebolt example loads the through-bolt in bending; tension on the eyebolt will eventually fail the through-bolt.
ex: there's a long, ongoing thread on this site right now about how difficult it is to bond anything to aluminum for actual structure

Perhaps the a/c he designed presented such low loads on the joints that there was never a failure, but if true, it would seem to indicate that the structure was heavier than needed.

Gregory Perkins

RVCharlie is completely right. Herbert was a real estate agent with imagination. You should not take ANYTHING he says as authoritative.... I dont however think that it is a mistake to follow his thinking as possible alternatives that could prove to be good or bad. He wrote about ultralights before people were building them and in that regard he was visionary in my opinion and he made attempts to research and qualify ... but question everything you read. Indeed a lot of his
suggestions are more hardware store type solutions for farm implements and yes they will definitely be heavier than possible but also usually cheaper and simple. Think WeedHopper.
An eyebolt solution can sometimes be acceptable as like anything else you design to a load plus some cushion for safety etc and add a little more for good measure and maybe you added some weight and saved some time and maybe money. You are the designer now. I just wanted to share Beaujon's work as entertainment.