• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Help! Wooden Spar Repair

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piperpilot1363

Hey Guys,

So I know you can repair cracked and broken spars, but can you repair a spar with a spot of dry rot on it? I've been browsing the regs and can't find anyone who has or any guidance on the subject. Basically, the Eaglet has a 1.5" by 4" spot of dry rot on the aft spar, left wing, next to the wing strut attachment point. The spar is 4.25" by 1" and the spot of rot occurs 9' into the 17" foot span. There are two 1/16th" doublers the span about 4 feet of the spar that are also affected by the rot (highlighted by oval in the pictures). Look at the pictures, as far as I can tell the rot penetrates straight through the affected area. Any thoughts about whether or not this can be repaired? I leaning toward switching it out, but that would require a complete wing rebuild. There is a big difference between repairing a few broken ribs and rebuilding the entire wing. On the bright side, I've mastered the art of removing 100's of tiny nails without destroying the ribs!:gig:IMG_0212[1].jpgEdited.jpgIMG_0214[1].jpgIMG_0216[1].jpg

Back