• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Help with weight estimate?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

addaon

Supporting Member
Can anyone assist me with a very rough weight estimate for a panel? I'm sure what I want will change over time, but I just want to get a very rough sense for design-stage weight and balance. Obviously, reality will be adjusted with battery position, etc.

I'm currently thinking of having the following in my panel:
Dual screen EFIS/Two from blue mountain avionics
Backup 2 1/4" airspeed, altimeter, attitude indicator (probably electric, although that makes makes me nervous...), vertical card compass, low fuel lights (separate sensors than feeding the EFIS, no full gauge)
Undecided on backup tach/manifold pressure
Hobbs meter
About 12 or so pull breakers
The assorted usual switches, magnetos, etc

Obviously, I know that the details will be a bigger factor than anything else. But what weight do people use per instrument? How heavy do you find a glass cockpit actually is (backup batteries? other gotchas?). How much of a factor is behind-panel wiring, lighting, etc?

Back