Quantcast

Help with removing snap ring please

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

rv7charlie

So I got the bugger off with two very small screw drivers, it appears to be not such a springy spring clip and seems to have deformed into a oblong c shape.
Problem now is the end pieces are not coming off either! I cant seem to see why.
Does anyone have some instructions for taking these apart they are Cleveland CM10-5 brake cylinders. Google comes up with the CM 10-19 instructions but I thinnk there maybe some differances between them.

Cheers Dom
Where does movement stop? If end piece is stopping at the C-clip groove, have you checked for burrs left from fighting the C-clip?

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
Problem now is the end pieces are not coming off either! I cant seem to see why.
This type of retaining clip is notorious for raising a small ridge on the shaft. It's not generally enough to see but it is large enough to keep close fitting parts for sliding off. A quick touch with a file solves that problem.

Yes, some of these clips are pretty malleable. Just squeeze it back to round before installing. The little cupped washer keeps it in place

akwrencher

HBA Supporter
If you don't have snap ring pliers but you have an old set of needle nose pliers you don't care about and a Dremel, keep grinding the end til it fits and can lever the ends apart. If you taper them just right it won't even shoot across the room. Zip lock bag over the whole thing while you work. You can see through it enough and it will catch the part.

I've been shooting small bits across rooms for over 3 decades, and NOW you tell me.........

Dominic Eller

HBA Supporter
Thanks for all the help guys :)
I got the seals replaced, turned out that I didnt even need to take that section off after all as there is no O ring under there, so all the others I could replace via the other end after carefully smoothing off where the hole in the spring shaft is to allow things to slide past easily.
Proof will be to see if they leak! but its going to be a long while untill that day comes.

Cheers
Dom