Help wanted: Pilots

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by pwood66889, Feb 25, 2011.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Feb 25, 2011 #1

pwood66889

pwood66889

pwood66889

Hard to believe, in this day of hang over unemployment, that some outfits are actually looking for the glamor position of flyperson. Yet, if you have a thousand hours of rotorary wing time, they are willing to talk to you! It needs to be on the CH-47, the OH-58 or the AH-64.
    So if you think you might be interested, and the winter has lasted long enough where you are (we saw 70 degrees F here today), just send me an email. Via this list, or:
    pwood94041@ yahoo.com.
    Somebody's gotta "Keep `em Flying."
    Percy in SE Bama

2. Feb 25, 2011 #2

Jman

Jman

Jman

Site Developer

Percy dog on it, don't tempt me! Sigh....5 more years to go. After that, I fully intend to make my way down there.

3. Feb 26, 2011 #3

Anymouse

Anymouse

Anymouse

Pretty much homeless. My location varies from SW A
    Dang! I almost have that. I mean, I don't have my commercial helo yet, but I'm working on my private helo ticket and I got just over 20 hours, most of it dual.

Do you think they'll make an exception for me??

4. Feb 26, 2011 #4

Dan Thomas

Dan Thomas

Dan Thomas

Insurance requirements place restrictions on the hiring of pilots. It's the old problem of needing the job to get the experience but needing the experience to get the job.

Airlines and other operators are getting scared. So few people are entering aviation anymore that they see a looming gap between positions vacated as the older guys retire and the availability of new Commercial pilots. The same thing is developing among aircraft mechanics. While I'm too old to consider getting into airline flying, I might see my mechanic's ticket worth a lot more in the few years before I retire, and maybe it might be more attractive than retirement. Can't much afford to retire anyway, they tell us, like a lot of Baby Boomers...

Dan

5. Feb 26, 2011 #5

TFF

TFF

TFF

What kind of job is civilian flying a CH 47? It would be cool though. For insurance, our policy is 50 hours in type 300 hrs total for beginning commercial pilot. Because we fly piston helicopters, the insurance company is leery of military turbine pilots flying piston. Compared to us, the turbine guys have tons of power that can get them out of some situations, we have to fly our way out. It is not ability, just familiarity. The reverse would seem to apply to my boss with those jobs; he has some oh-58 instructing some police officers but not much. He does have 14,000 hrs piston helicopters though.

6. Feb 26, 2011 #6

pwood66889

pwood66889

pwood66889

Hang in there, Jake. But when the cutters start talking about your "retirement" I'd bug out.

I don't thing they'll make any exceptions at the present juncture.

I can't afford "retirement" either, Dan. Social (in)Security just doesn't provide the money.

I'll bird dog it for the interested, though.

Percy

7. Feb 26, 2011 #7

Anymouse

Anymouse

Anymouse

Pretty much homeless. My location varies from SW A
    Actually, I got about 8700 hours fixed wing time and will hopefully go into semi-retirement in a couple years. After that, I'm hoping to do seasonal stuff or maybe contract stuff to supplement my investment income. My post was obviously sarcastic, but I am working on my helo ticket. Doubt if I'll ever get employed flying helos though. I just want to buzz around in my Rotorway. However, if someone does decide to take me on as a low timer, I'd be willing to give it a shot.

8. Feb 27, 2011 #8

pwood66889

pwood66889

pwood66889

9. Feb 28, 2011 #9

skeeter_ca

skeeter_ca

skeeter_ca

10. Mar 1, 2011 #10

pwood66889

pwood66889

pwood66889

`S funny. Still says:
    Maintenance Test Pilot - Requisition ID

USA-Alabama-Fort Rucker
    Description

MAINTENANCE TEST PILOTS AH-64D, OH-58D, CH-47D

SUMMARY:

Performs flights and demonstrates proficiency during standardization flights on aircraft. Performs mathematical calculations required for weight and balance, performance data for take off, cruise, and landing configurations of aircraft in which the individuals are qualified.

Probably a bad URL detail. Try go to:
    Careers
    Click
    External Applicant Career Search
    and enter in the location
    * United States
    * Alabama
    * Fort Rucker.

Percy