HELP: two-seater aerobatic with removable wings?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Smutny

In my hanger row of T-hangers, there is one shared by a RV-6 and T-18. To make it work, the T-18 folds his wings back every time. So I've seen someone routinely go through the process of folding/unfolding every time he flies.

@gouxin - I still suggest getting in touch with a number of T-18 owners about aerobatic limits. I've never flown one and all I can do is point to websites.

Also, look into the Europa, IIRC it had different wing lengths that could be swapped and is aerobatic.

@bmcj - Good point on the FAA "through the fence" issues, I never though of that impacting home kept aircraft.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really wonder about pilot's dreams to tow their aircraft to an airport and go flying? I have been an airport bum for a lot of years and, other than gliders usually on glider fields, have NEVER seen an airplane towed in at an airport where it was being assembled to go flying for the day. Could all this effort to make aircraft towable be just dreams?
I fold and unfold the wings of my plane every time I fly. In the warm weather I keep the plane (wings folded) in the trailer at the airport; in the cold weather I keep it at home and tow it up to the airport if there's a warm enough day.

[video=youtube;GMdPk6KjHDM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMdPk6KjHDM[/video]

One issue is that the stresses of trailering beat on the plane, unless the plane and trailer are carefully designed for the purpose.

There are two other Kolbs on the airport that are stored with wings folded (to share hangar space), and unfolded every time they're flown.

-Dana

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Last edited by a moderator:

gouxin

Smutny: I've looked at two T-18 POHs and they all state the aerobatic weight at 1250lbs and I believe the original T-18 and the modified S-18 both set the same weight for aerobatics. Europa is a very nice airplane and I almost bought a half-finished one several years from the Europa assistant building facility in Florida. But Europa's stress limit is +4-2G, not aerobatic rated.

Maybe I should reconsider the requirement. Now I think I'd be quite happy to find an aerobatic design whose wings can be removed within one hour on a frequent basis and can haul two normal size people on board for acro flight.

The reason why I am so stick to the removable wings and two-seat acro capability features is quite simple: I am in China. After six years of studying, working and flying in the US, I came back to settle in China. I still want to fly here in China but the GA and sports aviation facility and infrastructure are so premature. I can't leave the airplane at a landing strip that has no fence or safety of any kind IF I could be allowed to park at such strip or small airport at all. Very few people in China ever experience taking a ride in a small airplane, let alone aerobatic flying. I love aerobatics and want to take as many friends and people for their first small plane flight and aerobatic flight ride as possible. That's situation that defines my airplane requirement.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Sorry... when I quoted FAA's new policy, I failed to notice that you were in China. Please disregard my comment.

N2T18S

T-18's acro weight is only 1250--that's for one person for sure. Same situation with Sonerai.
You are correct 6+/3- = 1250 gross

5+/2.5-= 1500 gross

The MMII & T18/S18 CW/folding wing are almost identical. The S18 has a 1600 lb documented gross. Many fly at 1800. So, the FW is actually stronger. Takes one person 10 minutes to fold.

Bob

gouxin

Bob, is the +5-2G at 1500lbs quoted from the plan? If so it's in par with Citabria at this weight and I'd consider it as acro capable as Citabria at this weight. That might change my mind.