• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Help - Buying Used ADS-B - Scams / Duds / Junk

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
I have found what appears to be a reasonable deal on an un-used uavionix SkyBeacon. The story supposedly goes like this...

Some Guy #1 bought it and didn't use it, because they upgraded their panel.

Some Guy #1 then sold it for $1800+ to Some Other Guy #2, who bolted it into his newly purchased (used 1968) Mooney, then started the Mooney to power up the unit and test it, only to find that the Mooney's old transponder didn't work.

So he removed the ADS-B unit, never having flown it, put it back in the box, and upgraded his Mooney to a new Garmin Whiz-Bang 5000 transponder that had ADS-B built in.

The never-used uavionix wingtrip ADS-B unit is now for sale, at a good (but not too good to be true) price of $1600.

I don't know Jack **** about avionics, have no test equipment, etc. I can solder red and black wires together, but that's about it.

So my question for this groups is: other than obvious physical damage,. can anyone tell me what I can look for to see if this is indeed an un-used, not stolen, legitimate, and register-able ADS-B unit? Is there a website that I can look up and find out if this has been registered, or listed as stolen, or a recalled/defective item? Is there some paper form that needs to be un-marked and bar-coded etc. with the unit, and if this form is not present it means that someone has already registered it or it cannot be registered?

Back