Help - Buying Used ADS-B - Scams / Duds / Junk

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
I have found what appears to be a reasonable deal on an un-used uavionix SkyBeacon. The story supposedly goes like this...

Some Guy #1 bought it and didn't use it, because they upgraded their panel.

Some Guy #1 then sold it for $1800+ to Some Other Guy #2, who bolted it into his newly purchased (used 1968) Mooney, then started the Mooney to power up the unit and test it, only to find that the Mooney's old transponder didn't work.

So he removed the ADS-B unit, never having flown it, put it back in the box, and upgraded his Mooney to a new Garmin Whiz-Bang 5000 transponder that had ADS-B built in.

The never-used uavionix wingtrip ADS-B unit is now for sale, at a good (but not too good to be true) price of $1600.

I don't know Jack **** about avionics, have no test equipment, etc. I can solder red and black wires together, but that's about it.

So my question for this groups is: other than obvious physical damage,. can anyone tell me what I can look for to see if this is indeed an un-used, not stolen, legitimate, and register-able ADS-B unit? Is there a website that I can look up and find out if this has been registered, or listed as stolen, or a recalled/defective item? Is there some paper form that needs to be un-marked and bar-coded etc. with the unit, and if this form is not present it means that someone has already registered it or it cannot be registered?

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
FAA should know. Uavionix should know if they can transfer owner or you can ping it to verify ownership/serial number etc... It's a cell phone app and it only needs 12v to arm and talk to it. Seems like if it is a legit serial number and you get to transfer the warranty you save $100 if you need certified. If you are putting it in experimental there are cheaper options I think. Sorta looking at the same options myself. Surprised there are any used ones showing up at all as this is all brand new in the market.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Called uAvionix per Jay's suggestion and got good info.

I can call their tech support, read off the serial number, and get an immediate answer if it is stolen, recalled, or already registered.

proppastie

Log Member
Experimental unit is less money new if it is for an experimental

rv7charlie

If you need to spend the money for that one, for a cert. a/c, use a reputable avionics shop as a broker to handle the sale. Money goes to shop, hardware goes to shop, shop verifies operation (and chain of ownership), money goes to seller and hardware comes to you. Of course, the shop will want its pound of flesh...

Charlie

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
The Echo + Skyfx GPS bundle gets you the same "out" capability for $400 less money. And if this particular unit is "certified", I don't think it will wifi the ADSb "in" to your tablet.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Unfortunately, this is for a Cessna 172, and I'm feeling a little less scofflaw-ish today than I was previously. The unit I am (hopefully) buying tomorrow is a TSO unit.

vinnfizz

The Echo + Skyfx GPS bundle gets you the same "out" capability for $400 less money. And if this particular unit is "certified", I don't think it will wifi the ADSb "in" to your tablet.
The SkyBeacon does not have ADS-B “IN” capability. uAvionics SkySensor was made to go on the starboard wing to provide ADS-B in via wifi, unfortunately they did not proceed with TSO for those for Certified Aircraft..

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Thank you all for your advice and ideas, they were very helpful. I bought the ADS-B unit today, after I called uAvionix with the serial number to verify it was legit.

Removed the antique aluminum C-172 wingtip, installed a ground wire, re-instelled the tip, and will be ready to mount the little bugger next time I get to the airport. The uAvionix unit comes with #6 machine screws to mount it, but my wingtip has solid riveted Tinnerman nut plates for P-K screws. So before I take the tip off and drill out the rivets... I'm gonna try to find some long Type B P-K screws and see if I can get it to fit without any more bloodshed.

Bill-Higdon

Thank you all for your advice and ideas, they were very helpful. I bought the ADS-B unit today, after I called uAvionix with the serial number to verify it was legit.

Removed the antique aluminum C-172 wingtip, installed a ground wire, re-instelled the tip, and will be ready to mount the little bugger next time I get to the airport. The uAvionix unit comes with #6 machine screws to mount it, but my wingtip has solid riveted Tinnerman nut plates for P-K screws. So before I take the tip off and drill out the rivets... I'm gonna try to find some long Type B P-K screws and see if I can get it to fit without any more bloodshed.
Sheet metal work with out Blood Sacrafices to the Gods of 02 thin Tha's Sacralige I tell you :eek::D