• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Help a newbie understand IFR concepts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timstertimster

I'm getting a little confused. On one hand I used to think experimental GA means you don't need certified avionics, but then I'm reading that if you're doing IFR, you'll have to get certified avionics, which are HIDEOUSLY EXPENSIVE.

I consider myself about 5 years away from seriously going for an IFR certification myself, and my knowledge in that area is limited to what I picked up watching YouTube. So, nothing really.

But one of these days, I would love to fly a meek little home built bush plane at night and feel like a proper pilot.

Couple questions on my mind are: why do I get the impression that generally, people make a much bigger deal out of IFR flying versus VFR? If your systems are calibrated properly, I don't see how IFR is that much more complex. Approach plates, moving maps, paying attention to glide slope, markers, intensive ATC communication... doesn't sound all that much more intensive. Am I just naive?

Would love to hear some opinions on the matter. I mean, whats the most basic IFR capable package you ACTUALLY need? How much more pilot activity is ACTUALLY necessary when landing in fog versus clear skies?

Thanks for humorig me.

Back