Hello!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Wingnut73, Feb 11, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Feb 11, 2019 #1

Wingnut73

Wingnut73

Wingnut73

Hello I am the new guy! I grew up around general aviation. Remember my uncle building a long EZ in garage when I was young child. In my teens and twenties I was mostly an airport bum. I washed airplanes hand prop airplanes, did anything I could for airplane rides. I got invited to help work on a few airplanes in ultralight builds and eventually worked for a ultralight (Challenger) dealer for a while. It didn't pay much and I soon discovered women ,drinking and hell raisin. That was twenty years, a wife and two kids ago. Now with one of the kids off from college the draw to airplanes has been quite strong I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet. I would love to get a used ultralight for an awesome price. Or, I might build something. I would like to build an ultralight with full Volkswagen power. I don't think it is really that much heavier than 1/2 Volkswagen! Half Volkswagen just don't seem to have the power to give ultralights a decent climb rate. Well, hello I'm welcome to ideas and suggestions.

J

2. Feb 11, 2019 #2

don january

don january

don january

Hello Wingnut73. I'd say go get you a set of PDQ plans and start hammering away. I'd like to see you go get about 25 hrs in a Cessna 150 or some thing to that order and decide if its a UL you want or a bigger bird. welcome to HBA and I hope you get in the air.

3. Feb 11, 2019 #3

blane.c

blane.c

blane.c

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Hurrah! Good luck and stuff.

4. Feb 11, 2019 #4

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

Welcome! There are a few aircraft that claim be Part 103 legal with a full VW, but "claim" is the key word. You might consider something ultralight-simple but heavier. A Milholland Legal Eagle XL could handle the weight of a full VW but would no longer be Part 103 legal.

5. Feb 12, 2019 #5

lr27

lr27

lr27

If you don't like the climb power of a half VW engine, you might like some other engine with a redrive that swings a bigger prop. If a half VW can put out 35 hp and your gross weight is 500 lbs, that's only about 14 lbs/hp. A Cessna 152 at gross is more than that. The ultralight will be slower, too, so with comparable prop efficiency it would probably climb faster. Another way to go would be something with a longer wing.

6. Feb 14, 2019 #6

pwood66889

pwood66889

pwood66889

YAW (Yet Another Welcome) to you, Wing. Do stay tuned, as there is lots of wisdom (and yes, no small amount of humor; some leg pulling though) on this site. Think about what kind of flying you would like to do - draw up a "Mission Statement" if that would appeal. Yeah, ya might need several.
    Then think how neat it would be to do that!
    Percy

7. Mar 24, 2019 #7

BJC

BJC

BJC

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Welcome Wingnut73.

It seems like we have several new or returning posters lately. Glad to have each of you here.

BJC