Hello, My Name I Mark Thompson I am 62 and going to A& P school at Spartan in Tulsa OKLA. campus.

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Mark Thompson

oh.. I am suppose to type message here. I was an UH-1H crew-chief and mechanic for over 10 years in the ARMY. I completed 2 years of machine tool degree at North central tech collage wausau wi. after I left the Army . but for the last 29 years I have been commercial truck driver. I miss aviation so I am getting back in. I have been wanting to build my own plane for most of my life. was subscribed to The Saure P-6E news letter while it was in design stage. Now I have chosen to Build the Curtiss 0-1B/A3.

don january

Log Member
Welcome Mark T. to the HBA Forum. Very challenging build for first plane but sounds like your in the right business to get it done.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Welcome. You have chosen a big project. What are your plans for firewall forward?

BJC

TFF

Will you build a scaled version or exact copy. Either way that’s a big elephant to eat. Good luck and have fun.

crusty old aviator

Hoo-boy, that’s a lot of wing ribs! At least the Falcon has constant cord wings, so you won’t have 400+ hours into rib jig building like you would building a P-6E Hawk replica...what are you using for technical sources to base your replica on?

N804RV

HBA Supporter
Dang Mark! We have very similar history. I was a UH-1N crew chief in Navy search & rescue. The FAA would not give me a waiver for the A&P exams because, even though I had over 16 years experience in helicopter maintenance (including all systems QAR and "Safe-for-Flight" signature authorization), they said because I went to avionics "A" school when I got out of bootcamp it didn't count. Its funny, because I changed as many engines as I did radios during my career.

I was thinking about going to A&P school. But, I get so many calls from A&Ps and IAs to do avionics work for them, it keeps me busy as I want to be. Plus, I need time to build my own plane.

TerryM76

HBA Supporter
Question: how long did it take you guys to pull an engine or twin-pac out of that N model?

It took us 8 hours to do that task on Bell 212 & 412s.

pwood66889

Welcome aboard Mark! I goe my mechanic's certificate with Airframe and Power plant ratings when the rest of my age cohort could pick up that first full Social Security check! Put in 9 years repairing helicopters (no UH-1 though) and made enough to retire to Florida. I recommend Ft. Rucker for a job, though you'll miss Oklahoma like I did New Mexico.
All The Best = Percy in NW FL, USA

Mark Thompson

Yes, that is the engine I would really like to use. Anyone know where I can find one? even a part of one. and yes if I have to I will build one from scratch.

Mark Thompson

Will you build a scaled version or exact copy. Either way that’s a big elephant to eat. Good luck and have fun.
yes . as close a copy as i can.

One example. many of the tubes are riveted with tubercular rivets. I will be using solid rivets.

Mark Thompson

Dang Mark! We have very similar history. I was a UH-1N crew chief in Navy search & rescue. The FAA would not give me a waiver for the A&P exams because, even though I had over 16 years experience in helicopter maintenance (including all systems QAR and "Safe-for-Flight" signature authorization), they said because I went to avionics "A" school when I got out of bootcamp it didn't count. Its funny, because I changed as many engines as I did radios during my career.

I was thinking about going to A&P school. But, I get so many calls from A&Ps and IAs to do avionics work for them, it keeps me busy as I want to be. Plus, I need time to build my own plane.
right VA. would not pay for me to go to A&P when I got out. Thats why I went to Machine tool degree. even though like you for many years I was in Maintenance support and did many engine and transmission changes rigged flight controls did tail boom alignments. also did a course a Corpus Christi ARMY DEPOT.

Mark Thompson

Hoo-boy, that’s a lot of wing ribs! At least the Falcon has constant cord wings, so you won’t have 400+ hours into rib jig building like you would building a P-6E Hawk replica...what are you using for technical sources to base your replica on?
Mostly Pictures and R/C model drawing form Archive sources.US Air-force Museum.Dayton. and the Smithsonian.NASM-CW8G-T-3029 FALCON O-1 CENTER WING.jpg NASM-CW8G-T-3481 FALCON 0-11.jpg NASM-CW8G-T-3029 FALCON O-1 CENTER WING.jpg NASM-CW8G-T-3481 FALCON 0-11.jpg

ScaleBirdsScott

Welcome aboard and your goal sounds like a great one. Hope there's good enough reference material to work from in the sources you're looking into. Those photos do a lot to illuminate, but it's those little details that really start to drag a project into the weeds, so you've got a lot of thinking to do. But that minutiae is half the fun for some people.

As someone building a Curtiss-inspired replica, I wish you the best and most plentiful of luck on the endeavor. They made some great-looking aircraft.

N804RV

HBA Supporter
Question: how long did it take you guys to pull an engine or twin-pac out of that N model?

It took us 8 hours to do that task on Bell 212 & 412s.
I seem to remember it took a good 8 hours for 2 or 3 of us to pull the twin-pac. Another 3 or 4 hours to Q-up the new twin-pac, then another 8 hours or so to install it, work of the in-process gripes, and get it ready to test fly. I have worked around the clock to get-er done during a deployment. But, usually we'd end up taking turns would flying on a marine bird or one of the CH-53 minesweepers to provide SAR coverage during ops. So, we really couldn't throw an all-out effort into it unless we were in port. And, that meant no liberty when everyone else was out having fun.

Group Builder