Hello Hello

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Hey just registered after stalking these forums for a year or so trying to get a grasp on what I want to build. I am looking to start a project within a month or two but haven't come up with a plane I want to build yet. I am currently going to school and have saved for the past year where I feel I can start a project.

I am looking into a 1 place, prefer metal. (I already have the riveting equipment and welders) I am a larger guy 6'3 and 220 so I am debating really between a hummelbird or a BK1. I would like to do some cross country flying as well.

Larger engine=more money. I'm trying to find something that can use the VW engines. I've only got about 10k saved and ready to go right now. I would like to complete it within 2 years when I finally graduate. I did look into the KR2.

StarJar

The Hummel H-5 is their new one. It looks just like he original except it is longer and has more wing.
They also have the Ultracruiser, which is designed to be an ultralight, as where the H'bird and H-5 are experimental light aircraft. 220 is probably too big for the H'bird, but you might find the others suitable.
I like all the Hummels, but haven't flown one yet.

bmcj

Supporting Member
Do you already have a pilot's license? If not, then a 2-seater could save you quite a bit on aircraft rental for your flight training. The downside to that is that you'll have to finish your build and have someone fly off the 40 hour test period before you could train in it.

Last edited:

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think he meant "pilot's" license, bad autocorrect or voice recognition? But a student pilot can fly the 40 hours provided his instructor has endorsed him for solo in that aircraft. Whether an instructor would be willing to do that is another matter; it would depend on the instructor, the student, and the aircraft.

Dana

StarJar

Yes. Besides, aren't we all lillies in a field of thorns?:gig:
Oops, back on topic. I wonder if he has a pilot's license. You don't need one for the Hummel Ultracruiser. But you do have to know how to fly, somehow.

StarJar

Can the Ultracruiser handle a big pilot?

Dana

Dana brings up a good point.
Using my dial-up connection, I found the usefull load of the 1/2vw U'cruiser to be listed at 230-260 lbs.
And the useful load of the H-5 (which uses a full vw), is listed at 390 lbs.
So with fuel, the Ultracruiser would not hanlde the weight, as where the H-5 seems pretty good.

(Don't laugh at dial-up, it serves me well here!)

Yes I already have my Pilots License and I am almost done with Instrument as well. Over the next year I will have my Commercial, Multi-Engine, and CFI. I just want something that I could fly solo and have some fun in. I could go back to the gym and get back down the the 190 that I was at last year. (stressful semester) :ermm:. Cross country flying is a must since I'll want to see friends back in Texas (I'm in AZ).