Hello from the Memphis area

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by geosnooker2000, Mar 30, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Mar 30, 2019 #1

geosnooker2000

geosnooker2000

geosnooker2000

Glad to find a home-builder forum that appears to be active. I am not a pilot yet. I am probably going to start lessons this spring. I'm 51 years old, and maybe finally financially able to fly. We shall see. I have been a subscriber to Kitplanes for about 15 years. I plan on building my own plane from plans I develop very close to the Sling Tsi, but with a Subaru engine or some other auto conversion. I will have a lot of questions pertaining to how exactly flight controls are routed, connected, concealed with the fuselage and wing (IOW, not looking like an RC plane), etc.

Turd Ferguson likes this.
  2. Mar 31, 2019 #2

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

I'm going to try the same kind of enclosed control cables used on motorcycles / boats. Seems safer to me than naked control cables running through pullies that my plans call for, that can jump off or get frayed. Then you can route them almost anywhere and just zip tie them to any structure as long as you don't exceed some bend radius.

3. Mar 31, 2019 #3

TFF

TFF

TFF

Lot to bite off for the first time round. What are you making it out of? From the same neighborhood.

4. Apr 2, 2019 #4

geosnooker2000

geosnooker2000

geosnooker2000

After thinking some more... I have decided to start my private pilot's license first, then start design of my eventual plane (in CAD). It will be an all-metal design, just like the Sling Tsi is. To be quite honest, I would buy the Sling Tsi if it weren't over $60K just for the kit. But I've seen some pretty good video shots of the plane. The only tough parts will be the cowling and the canopy(s). Those are the only compound curves I see, so they will have to be composite. To me, the toughest part may be the engine mount. You would have thought that as many apparent attempts there have been to use a Subaru engine, someone would sell an engine mount, since most firewall/bulkheads are flat???? I have scoured the internet to no avail.

5. Apr 2, 2019 #5

geosnooker2000

geosnooker2000

geosnooker2000

While I agree with what you are saying, that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about when the push/pull rods attach to the rudder (for example), they do it inside the extended and widened fuselage end tip (under the empennage) - as in, you never see the connection, all you see is the rudder moving and you can't tell why. I'm sure there is a term for that kind of concealment, maybe "blind connections" or some such, I'm just not aware of what it's called. But I've seen it on many of the "high-performance" low wing homebuilts. Just a cleaner look.

6. Apr 2, 2019 #6

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

Armchair Mafia Conspirator HBA Supporter

Stick with this plan. Keep learning about design while you're working on your certificate, but get flying. You may find that your mission and type of airplane you want is different in practice than before you start flying.

7. Apr 3, 2019 #7

lr27

lr27

lr27

Welcome. Have you got it clear in your mind what your own design will do that some existing design won't?

8. Apr 3, 2019 #8

TFF

TFF

TFF

Getting the pilots license should be number one. You can enjoy flying no matter what; your plane or not your plane. Building a plane first when you want to fly can make you loose enthusiasm. Building is a big project. Designing is two or three times as hard. Easy to style an airplane hard to design one. There are three schools in Memphis, decide on one?

9. Apr 3, 2019 #9

geosnooker2000

geosnooker2000

geosnooker2000

Thank you. My thoughts exactly.

10. Apr 3, 2019 #10

geosnooker2000

geosnooker2000

geosnooker2000

Yes. Well, partially. So far I have two things for sure.
    A. It will cost way less to create than a kit that charges for its company profits and pre-formed kit parts. Like.... WAY less. and
    2. ( a little Mad About You Paul Riser joke for those of you out there old enough) It will incorporate an auto-conversion engine (I'm looking at the Subaru Turbocharged) which it appears most of the low-wing "high performance" kit manufacturers have reversed course on spec-ing for their kits. I mean, I think I can see why. There have been some auto-conversion companies that have gone out of business and left a whole bunch of people holding the bag.

11. Apr 3, 2019 #11

geosnooker2000

geosnooker2000

geosnooker2000

Funny, I would consider that to be the reverse. But then, I tend to design from the inside-out. I'm an Architect (classical) by trade.
    No, I haven't chosen a flight school in Memphis. I probably won't. I need to find a CFI that will work with me a couple hours per week. I can't just plop down $10,000 and disappear from my practice and my family for 2 weeks. Nor do I want to. I just don't want to do it that way.

12. Apr 3, 2019 #12

lr27

lr27

lr27

Sounds to me like you might consider scratch building unless you're just itching to design an aircraft. If you're a good scrounger, maybe you can save a bunch of money. Of course, it's probably a lot more work.

13. Apr 3, 2019 #13

geosnooker2000

geosnooker2000

geosnooker2000

Guess we need to define our terms. To me, scratch building is drawing your own design from scratch and building from your own design documents. If you are suggesting that I build from an already designed by someone else set of plans (instead of buying pre-formed kit parts), I would LOVE to do that instead. So, now... How do we get Sling to sell me their Sling Tsi set of plans for $500? Cuz that's what I want.

14. Apr 3, 2019 #14

TFF

TFF

TFF

Almost no one plops down big cash unless they are going to be a professional pilot; liken those to a college degree. Most pay as they go and fly when they can. Except for the one in Millington, school is a loose term. My grandfather was an architect. The outside shape makes it an airplane, the inside structure has to hold that shape. A building can be done opposite and be a success. I imagine you did not just start designing 30 story buildings out of school. since this is all self study, studying lots of plans and designs, even ones your not interested in, will give you a leg up. Most will find some plans to build from to cut years of designing. Personally I would love an exact copy of Falling Water, but the Wright Foundation will not sell you the plans and for most would not let you even look at them, so there is a lot of guessing of what is inside, even if you have an educated guess. That is why most pick something they can actually get done.

15. Apr 3, 2019 #15

lr27

lr27

lr27

I've heard that definition of scratch building, I suppose. I see design as a different activity than building, though I suppose people who are not afraid to paint themselves into a corner may do both at the same time. (I suspect experience building other airplanes helps with that problem.)

How exactly did you decide on that design? Have you looked at all the popular plans-built airplanes that have similar performance, or whatever it is you like about the Sling Tsi? Are you SURE you'll still want a Sling Tsi after you've got your license and know more about flying? For that matter, are you sure you wouldn't just want a used C-172?