Hello from The Gambia, West Africa.

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Riggerrob

Speaking of the cost of importing materials ... My I recommend sticking with the flat-wrapped Lexan windshield and doors. The flat-wrap is easier to source and ship and import costs will be much less expensive.

For example, a few years back, a Canadian friend ordered a blown, bubble canopy for his Sonerai. When it arrived, it was cracked (ergo useless) but Canada Customs still insisted on collecting import fees.

Abdourahman,..

Be sure to join the authorized Zenith forum as well. There you will find many friendly and supportive builders and completed builders sharing tips and tricks, especially where the plans are confusing or have been found to have some inconsistencies. The Zenith site also has a dedicated section for each of the eight popular engine choices. A decision that will come after some time but is a major step. You can discuss with builder/owners who are now flying behind their choice.

Then, be sure to search the world wide internet for scratch builders who post detailed logs. They can probably be found via a Google search like "Zenith CH750 Builder Log" or similar. But after you have parts made, the assembly, drilling, deburring and riveting can be supported by any builder's log. Some are very detailed. For a sample scratch build of the Zenith SuperDuty, which is basically a larger CH750, check out Narfi;s build log right here on HBA.
There are a number of YouTube videos for the Zenith aircraft where builders are showing their build in step by step fashion and showing how they solve problems. Just search from your YouTube home page.

Also, there are the HomeBuilt Help videos for assembly guidance. Homebuilt Help has lots of building tips on YouTube also.
Experimental Homebuilt Amateur Aircraft Construction Training Video DVD for Zenith CH750

Finally, the EAA has lots of excellent webinar and other video guides. Requires a membership to view most of these.

Good Luck. You have been directed to an excellent choice. All the best with your endeavor.
Thank you so much for all the resources shared. These will be very helpful.

Speaking of the cost of importing materials ... My I recommend sticking with the flat-wrapped Lexan windshield and doors. The flat-wrap is easier to source and ship and import costs will be much less expensive.

For example, a few years back, a Canadian friend ordered a blown, bubble canopy for his Sonerai. When it arrived, it was cracked (ergo useless) but Canada Customs still insisted on collecting import fees.
well noted! Thanks for that recommendation

tralika

The link below is to a website for home builders to log their projects. It shows the search result for all Zenith aircraft. You can look through the list and find multiple CH750 projects. I suspect most of these will be kit aircraft but even if you can't find a scratch build log I think seeing the individual steps and detailed photos will give you a better idea of what's involved and fuel your enthusiasm.
Best wishes.

John N.
Wasilla, Alaska
mykitlog.com/jnealon

Wayne

HBA Supporter
Log Member
What is “a top 10% EAA Chapter”?

BJC
Hi BJC - a quick response for you. I engaged closely with someone at EAA over a number of years who had a very good understanding of what the ~900 chapters do in all manner of activities. Based on that experience they felt we were a top 10% Chapter. Simple as that really.

Reactions: BJC

PagoBay

Abdourahman..
Here is a recent post to the Zenith Forum.
Worth the time to read to the end for a very thoughtful conclusion. Definitely inspiring.

Don’t Get Discouraged
Fred Westbrook, of Owego, New York, sent us this inspiring story of his build experience that we share below.
Don’t Get Discouraged
My name is Fred Westbrook. A few years ago, when my son Josh was about fourteen years old, we visited an airstrip, called Blue Swan, in Sayre, Pennsylvania. It was a grass strip with a dozen small aircraft and ultralights. One gentleman was doing some low flying, up the strip and back. When he stopped, my son and I walked over to him and he showed us his ultralight and explained to us how it worked and that he had built it. My son and I were very impressed by it and spent some time checking it out and asking many questions. We told the man we were very interested and wanted to someday try to get one and put it together. After looking at all the aircraft that were there, we decided it was time to go. The gentleman told my son and I: "DON’T GET DISCOURAGED."
This was an epiphany for us which will become clear to you later. A few years passed and I asked my son if he would build an airplane with me. Well, of course he said yes, we could not get going soon enough. We looked at many kits and decided to purchase a Zenith STOL CH 750. It is a kit that comes in a large box, about 4’ x 4’ x 12’ long.

It was a challenging and rewarding endeavor that took us about 4 years.

We kept repeating what the man had said: "DON’T GET DISCOURAGED." Finally, it was done, and we got out airworthiness certificate to allow us to fly.

After many times taxing and short hops, it was time to take off. By this time my son was a licensed private pilot and had taken many lessons in the same model airplane.

One Saturday morning I watched him take off and with no problems he was circling above the field. It was very exciting, and terrifying, at the same time!

We have totally enjoyed the building and flying experience for a few years now. It has been awesome! We put a small decal on the airplane by the door that says “DON’T GET DISCOURAGED”.
Why is this statement so important to us? The man at the Blue Swan Airport had no legs from the knees down. He was able to get from his wheel chair into the ultralight and fly it with special hand controls. Here was a man with no legs telling us not to get discouraged. It was a true epiphany for my son and I. The airport is gone, we never knew his name, or what became of him. My son and I will never forget this kind man and his words: Don’t Get Discouraged.

Fred Westbrook
Owego, New York
Zenith STOL CH 750, powered by a Viking (Honda) engine.

The link below is to a website for home builders to log their projects. It shows the search result for all Zenith aircraft. You can look through the list and find multiple CH750 projects. I suspect most of these will be kit aircraft but even if you can't find a scratch build log I think seeing the individual steps and detailed photos will give you a better idea of what's involved and fuel your enthusiasm.
Best wishes.

John N.
Wasilla, Alaska
mykitlog.com/jnealon

Thank you so much for sharing

Abdourahman..
Here is a recent post to the Zenith Forum.
Worth the time to read to the end for a very thoughtful conclusion. Definitely inspiring.

Don’t Get Discouraged
Fred Westbrook, of Owego, New York, sent us this inspiring story of his build experience that we share below.
Don’t Get Discouraged
My name is Fred Westbrook. A few years ago, when my son Josh was about fourteen years old, we visited an airstrip, called Blue Swan, in Sayre, Pennsylvania. It was a grass strip with a dozen small aircraft and ultralights. One gentleman was doing some low flying, up the strip and back. When he stopped, my son and I walked over to him and he showed us his ultralight and explained to us how it worked and that he had built it. My son and I were very impressed by it and spent some time checking it out and asking many questions. We told the man we were very interested and wanted to someday try to get one and put it together. After looking at all the aircraft that were there, we decided it was time to go. The gentleman told my son and I: "DON’T GET DISCOURAGED."
This was an epiphany for us which will become clear to you later. A few years passed and I asked my son if he would build an airplane with me. Well, of course he said yes, we could not get going soon enough. We looked at many kits and decided to purchase a Zenith STOL CH 750. It is a kit that comes in a large box, about 4’ x 4’ x 12’ long.

It was a challenging and rewarding endeavor that took us about 4 years.

We kept repeating what the man had said: "DON’T GET DISCOURAGED." Finally, it was done, and we got out airworthiness certificate to allow us to fly.

After many times taxing and short hops, it was time to take off. By this time my son was a licensed private pilot and had taken many lessons in the same model airplane.

One Saturday morning I watched him take off and with no problems he was circling above the field. It was very exciting, and terrifying, at the same time!

We have totally enjoyed the building and flying experience for a few years now. It has been awesome! We put a small decal on the airplane by the door that says “DON’T GET DISCOURAGED”.
Why is this statement so important to us? The man at the Blue Swan Airport had no legs from the knees down. He was able to get from his wheel chair into the ultralight and fly it with special hand controls. Here was a man with no legs telling us not to get discouraged. It was a true epiphany for my son and I. The airport is gone, we never knew his name, or what became of him. My son and I will never forget this kind man and his words: Don’t Get Discouraged.

Fred Westbrook
Owego, New York
Zenith STOL CH 750, powered by a Viking (Honda) engine.
WHat a nice story. I am more than determined to keep going. Thank you so much for sharing. I am certain this story will keep me going whenever I come across challenges

I have a question, guys. I have been going through the sites recommended and looking at the cost of building closely. I spoke with a guy who works at our airspace and our discussion was mostly centered on the cost needed to build the STOL CH750. looking at other aircraft, he suggested building the Affordaplane ultralight since it will be cheaper and my build won't stop due to financial issues. He is certain that if my build is successful then the government will certainly help me build another aircraft since that would be the first time an aircraft is successfully built here and then I can build the STOL CH750 as my second build with financial support from my government.
My question is, is it okay to build the Affordaplane for a start?

What materials do you have, what construction equipment do you have, what materials do you have skills with? If you are comfortable with wood, you can build the MiniMax fairly inexpensively.
I would prefer building with aluminum. I have recently started going to my friends workshop to learn few skills and he works with aluminum. I have no skills with wood so far. My friend has made all his tools available to me for the mean time as i am already planning to buy my own and get some which are not available here.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
You also can build the tail of the CH 750, and based on the quality of your work the government might assist you with purchasing the materials for the rest of it.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Hi BJC - a quick response for you. I engaged closely with someone at EAA over a number of years who had a very good understanding of what the ~900 chapters do in all manner of activities. Based on that experience they felt we were a top 10% Chapter. Simple as that really.
Not meant as a criticism of your chapter, but I have very little confidence in the national EAA leadership’s ability to recognize a good chapter.

BJC

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
The Affordaplane has very different build materials (aluminum tube and fabric) than the CH750 (Al sheet). Obviously, a lot different capabilities (1 seat vs 2, etc).
If, for whatever reason, it looks like your friend is correct in his assessment and a very light, one seat, inexpensive tube and fabric plane should be your first project, I think MANY people here would recommend the Millholland Legal Eagle ultralight as preferable to the Affordaplane. You could gather facts on both ( including opinions here, as a starting point for further research) and then approach him with your case. The govt evaluators might also be favorably impressed by your diligent appraisal of various designs.

Edited to add: Here's a link to a thread started by an active member here to discuss the Legal Eagle, including his own Legal Eagle project/plane.The Millholland Designs Legal Eagle Ultralight, Legal Eagle XL and Double Eagle

Last edited:

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Abdourahman Chaw, depending on your situation, your options may be narrowed down by the engines you can feasibly use (due to budget, availability of engines, mechanics, and parts, etc). If the old air cooled VWs ("Type 1x as used in the common VW Beetles) are available to you, they can be a reliable, economic option capable of 60 HP without extensive machine work. Purpose-built airplane engines are, of course, a very good choice if you can afford them and their spare parts, and if there are trained mechanics to assist with repairs. Planes have been powered by a wide variety of engines (from motorcycles, cars, big lawnmowers, etc) but it would be useful to know if you have a preference or have looked into options/ limitations you may face in this regard.

The Affordaplane has very different build materials (aluminum tube and fabric) than the CH750 (Al sheet). Obviously, a lot different capabilities (1 seat vs 2, etc).
If, for whatever reason, it looks like your friend is correct in his assessment and a very light, one seat, inexpensive tube and fabric plane should be your first project, I think MANY people here would recommend the Millholland Legal Eagle ultralight as preferable to the Affordaplane. You could gather facts on both ( including opinions here, as a starting point for further research) and then approach him with your case. The govt evaluators might also be favorably impressed by your diligent appraisal of various designs.

Edited to add: Here's a link to a thread started by an active member here to discuss the Legal Eagle, including his own Legal Eagle project/plane.The Millholland Designs Legal Eagle Ultralight, Legal Eagle XL and Double Eagle
Thank you for the recommendation. I really am looking at all suggestions that were made and will make sure to look up this one too. I haven't looked at the engine options yet but this could be a starting point.
Thanks