Hello from Southern California

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Kavin

Good day members. For the next year or two I will be working on a personal Wing In Ground Effect vehicle, a first design to be towed behind a boat and then a second to be electrified. This is my first foray into full scale design and while I am familiar with some basics of full scale design I have a lot of learning to do and will gladly accept guidance from the experienced members here.

don january

Log Member
Personal Wing now that got me clicking. Please do tell of design and power source. Most of all welcome to the site and share your adventure.

Kavin

Where in SoCal?

I might ambush, capture, and steal your everlasting soul for our EAA chapter in the San Fernando Valley... :)
Steal away, the Redlands chapter which is nearest hasn't been meeting until this weekend, and I am out of town so I won't be able to mingle for mentorship there for at least another month, and I'd rather get started sooner than that. I will go where the most enthusiasm resides!

Kavin

Personal Wing now that got me clicking. Please do tell of design and power source. Most of all welcome to the site and share your adventure.
Design somewhat depends on what sort of mentorship (if any) I can get (what construction they are most familiar with) at and what sort of equipment is available. So far I have options for wood, composite or even aluminum construction at my disposal, but no one to make sure I don't completely screw up. I have a huge storage space available to build, the biggest consideration is breakdown to make it trailerable. The towable will simply be weightshift control, ridden like a motorcycle. The second is totally up for grabs as to power source, hopefully I can make it exciting and sexy enough for a supplier to chip in :). It will most likely be composite.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Our chapter is at Whiteman Airport KWHP. We just started to have in-person Young Eagles events after a year off because of mother- !(#*$%! COVID . Our meetings are still on Zoom, but that will be ending pretty soon too I'm guessing. Most of us haggard old has-beens have had our shots.

We're just starting a chapter airplane build program, where our members will mentor the kids who flew Young Eagles (and their parents) in building an airplane. This combines two or three separate aspects of EAA and our chapter into one thing. We have the wing kit for the Zenith 750 Cruzer and will be building that aircraft, because of several factors.

Our Young Eagles program is pretty successful; we've flown 9,000 kids since 1993 or whenever YE started. Although Redlands is a little bit of a drive, we'd very much love to have you involved.

Oh, and we have plenty of people smart enough to advise and assist with your strange project. Being the closest chapter to Hollywood, we do strange very well... our members have Two flying motorcycles, one peroxide jet-pack, a pulse-jet powered go-kart, an ARUP flying wing, a couple of flying car projects, and even a few of those awful normal airplanes under our collective belt!

Kavin

Our chapter is at Whiteman Airport KWHP. We just started to have in-person Young Eagles events after a year off because of mother- !(#*$%! COVID . Our meetings are still on Zoom, but that will be ending pretty soon too I'm guessing. Most of us haggard old has-beens have had our shots.

We're just starting a chapter airplane build program, where our members will mentor the kids who flew Young Eagles (and their parents) in building an airplane. This combines two or three separate aspects of EAA and our chapter into one thing. We have the wing kit for the Zenith 750 Cruzer and will be building that aircraft, because of several factors.

Our Young Eagles program is pretty successful; we've flown 9,000 kids since 1993 or whenever YE started. Although Redlands is a little bit of a drive, we'd very much love to have you involved.
I'd love to go where welcome!

bmcj

HBA Supporter
I'd love to go where welcome!
You’re close to Flabob Airport in Riverside. That’s where EAA Chapter One is, and they are always open and helpful to new ideas. If you’re not familiar with them, try visiting this weekend during their Annual Low and Slow Fly-in.

Kavin

You’re close to Flabob Airport in Riverside. That’s where EAA Chapter One is, and they are always open and helpful to new ideas. If you’re not familiar with them, try visiting this weekend during their Annual Low and Slow Fly-in.
Sounds perfect unfortunately I cannot make it this weekend, I will wander over there sometime soon and see if I can rustle up any interest or contacts.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Sounds perfect unfortunately I cannot make it this weekend, I will wander over there sometime soon and see if I can rustle up any interest or contacts.
Best bet is to plan your visit when the Chapter meets.

Kavin

Piloting it was and is a lot of fun. I did FPV for many years, but designing planes was getting a little stale though as there was not much more to do until I discovered Ardupilot, which is unbelievable configurable and allows unstable and rare platforms which really opens the door to creativity again. So now I just incorporate it on most things I build, once you get past the learning curve it is really fun and opens doors. The full scale project will not be autonomous.