Hello from Saskatchewan

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by O'Davoren, May 25, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. May 25, 2019 #1

O'Davoren

O'Davoren

O'Davoren

Member HBA Supporter

Hello,

I've been signed up to the forum for a couple of years but have been largely inactive as was working on my private pilots license which I received just over a year ago. To gain experience and to meet local like minded people, I've recently joined my local EAA chapter 154 where we are building a Zenith 701 kit to be powered by a 110hp Viking Honda.

To keep up with current flying, I own an old Cessna 172H.

But my background is as a mechanical engineer and so aircraft design is also a strong interest. For various reasons, mainly to do with my passenger preferences, I prefer high wing design but also like the concept of Van's Total Performance which I sort of describe as My Universal Performance aircraft. Also, like many, for various reasons metal design is preferred. In my own mind I have a preliminary idea of some performance specs for such an airplane but would like to start a thread where these could be put out there and then continuously improved. Although there are homebuilt aircraft out in the market that meet some of the requirements, I've not been able to find one design that meets them all. I think there are valid technical reasons for this but I don't think they are insurmountable. In my career, I'm a problem solving optimist. For every 10 ways in which a design can't work, there's always one way in which it can!

So I would like to start this new discuss in this forum as it seems the outlook here is one of possibility. Any suggestions as to what forum section it belongs in would be appreciated. My dream would be to collaborate with those on the forum to first refine the design brief, develop a preliminary layout and airodynamic design, preliminary performance calculation, and so on. And then see where things go from there.

I could sit at home at a desk doing this but colloboration with others is more fun and almost always more productive in my mind.

2. May 26, 2019 #2

pwood66889

pwood66889

pwood66889

Welcome, O'Davoren. I was stationed just south of you; NE Montana. Mid-1960's. It still get cold up there in winter??? :)
    An EAA chapter with a build project will provide you a good learning experience.
    I believe you have started an excellent thread. My fellow inmates should chime in any minute... :)
    20190501_123758.jpg
    Here is a metal wing design for your consideration.

Percy in NW FL, USA

3. May 26, 2019 #3

don january

don january

don january

Greetings O'Davoren. Glad you dropped in. I personally won't be much in helping in the discuss area due to the fact I'm building and not designing an aircraft. There is many members who have the same interest in designing a craft so should find some input. Please keep the Forum posted if you take what your mind comes up with and your hands turn it into something that fly's.

4. May 26, 2019 #4

O'Davoren

O'Davoren

O'Davoren

Member HBA Supporter

Very cold this last winter (so-called polar vortex) but all good now.

That an Ercoupe wing?

5. May 28, 2019 #5

pwood66889

pwood66889

pwood66889

Indeed it goes on my Ercoupe. One of the few non-ladder ones out there. And cloth covered to boot. It really is a single-spar wing as the rear carry though is not much strength wise. Hope it inspires your creative talents.

6. May 28, 2019 #6

Tantrum1

Tantrum1

Tantrum1

Hey O'Davoren...New Brunswick guy here! But used to work in Saskatoon, and in La Ronge..

7. May 28, 2019 #7

Dan Thomas

Dan Thomas

Dan Thomas

Me. Retired. AME* and former flight instructor. And former homebuilder. Living in a tiny town in SW Saskatchewan, where living costs are affordable. Spent 45 years in BC and 20 in Alberta, neither of which are cheap for the average retiree anymore. The house we bought here would be worth between six and 20 times as much in some places in BC.

Yup, it can get cold here, but we get a LOT of sunshine, something BC seldom sees between November and March, sometimes longer. But I do miss my BC lakes and mountains and rivers and spruce forests. We were out there for a couple of weeks this month. Needed a dose of fishing and forest.

*In Canada an AME is an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer, not an Aviation Medical Examiner as in the US.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  8. May 28, 2019 #8

BJC

BJC

BJC

How tiny? My father was born near what now is the Village of Richmound, long before it existed.

BJC

9. May 29, 2019 #9

Dan Thomas

Dan Thomas

Dan Thomas

Ponteix has 600 souls. Richmound had 154 folks in 2011.

There are a lot of very small towns here, and many that have simply evaporated. In the early days there was a family on every quarter-section (160 acres) but with mechanization and the relative decrease in crop prices, farms had to get much bigger and have fewer employees. The Dirty Thirties also drove a lot of people off their land here. And improved roads meant that people could easily drive to larger centers for their needs. All of it results in fewer people in these towns.

I've seen the same thing in the Dakotas.

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    BJC likes this.
  10. May 31, 2019 #10

O'Davoren

O'Davoren

O'Davoren

Member HBA Supporter

Definately will do. I'm sensing my starting point will be a wing with moveable surface first for a good climb configuration and then vary for a higher speed flying shape. Will look around for the right place in the forum to put out some stuff.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  11. May 31, 2019 #11

O'Davoren

O'Davoren

O'Davoren

Member HBA Supporter

Hi Dan, your located just a bit north of one of my favourite places to visit in Sask - Grasslands National Park.