Hello from Los Angeles

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Lock_Jockey

I'm glad I found this forum. I'm a locksmith by trade but my true passion is engineering. One of my lifetime goals is to own a small helicopter. I love the idea of building my own ultralight single seat helicopter. I think I have the proper aptitude to build something like this, I'm very handy, have good background in MIG welding, gunsmithing built several firearms from scratch), machine shop bth CNC and manual operation mills, lathes etc etc.

So anyway, I'm very interested in a single seat helicopter everything is still in the brainstorming portion I love the idea of cannibalizing a Yamaha Fuel injected engine from either a wrecked snowmobile or a bike that way I'd have the engine, intrument panel, radiator and some other useful parts like a gas tank, fuel pump and key ignition I could recycle. I'm still hazy on the differences between avaiation grade engines and street grade. I understand they are "de-tuned" to have their HP lowered but, I'm unsure what that means; how are they being modified exactly.

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
90043 zip code, near Slauson and La Brea.

Wow, that part of town is not exactly the hub of private experimental aviation in LA :). Even KSMO doesn't have the active "hole in the wall gang" that built Long-EZ's and Berkuts anymore.

Come out to the Valley and hang with us at Whteman airport if you can deal with the 405.

One of our EAA chapter members is Dezso Molnar, who has built two flying motorcycle type experimentals, one of which he has flown. Another chapter member and my hangar landlord is one of the old-timers in the local PRA chapter and is connected with all the experimental gyro and helo people out at the El Mirage events.

I know zero about helo's, but I can at least put you with people who can prevent you from making fatal newbie rotorhead errors.

BJC

Supporting Member
Welcome, Lock.

I know about the same as VB; the propeller goes on the top, and is much bigger than an airplane’s propeller. I did keep up with homebuilt helicopters until Sun n Fun shut down “Chopper Town”.

BJC

Fred C

Wow, that part of town is not exactly the hub of private experimental aviation in LA :). Even KSMO doesn't have the active "hole in the wall gang" that built Long-EZ's and Berkuts anymore.

Come out to the Valley and hang with us at Whteman airport if you can deal with the 405.

One of our EAA chapter members is Dezso Molnar, who has built two flying motorcycle type experimentals, one of which he has flown. Another chapter member and my hangar landlord is one of the old-timers in the local PRA chapter and is connected with all the experimental gyro and helo people out at the El Mirage events.

I know zero about helo's, but I can at least put you with people who can prevent you from making fatal newbie rotorhead errors.
VB. Would you be an EAA chapter member, whose chapter was attempting to sell a Sonex for the owner, so as, to get more room in your hanger, to do projects with the young Eagles.

Bill-Higdon

In my very best Bugs Bunny voice... "ehhhh... could be..."

We are indeed trying to help one of our members find a home for his Sonex project. Why don't you just come on by and see it... tomorrow :)
He knows someone whose brother heard from someones 3rd cousin thrice removed knew someone who heard about it :cool:

Fred C

In my very best Bugs Bunny voice... "ehhhh... could be..."

We are indeed trying to help one of our members find a home for his Sonex project. Why don't you just come on by and see it... tomorrow :)
I actually saw it mabe 9 mos ago. Fuselage was on the mezzanine, tail feathers mounted on the wall alongside the stairwell, and wing parts , drawings, etc, strewn about below. Did your chapter finish the hanger remodel to help the young eagles ?