Hello from Huntsville, AL!

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Bradsopex

Hello everyone!

I grew up in general aviation thanks to my dad, mostly in 172/182s and then a Diamond DA-20 for a short bit.

I'm an engineer, and currently I build race cars and have found myself drawn more and more towards building something fun to fly, and this forum has a good wealth of knowledge. I look forward to learning some things and meeting some cool people!

Victor Bravo

Welcome! Building and flying are two hobbies that are related but separate. Both are a lot of fun, educational, and great personal achievements.

The basic questions this group almost always asks a newcomer are...

1) what type of lying do you want to do with the airplane you build?
2) What type of materials are you interested or comfortable working with?

these answers will allow us, as a group, to offer the most relevant and useful advice (if you are seeking advice or suggestions).

Bradsopex

1) I want the aircraft I build to do back country/bush flying.
2) I'm comfortable with almost any material. I weld, do light machining, do my own composite parts (fiberglass, carbon fiber, carbon Kevlar, etc) and I even have a sewing machine, lol.

Pops

Log Member
Welcome. Great bunch of airplane nuts here.
My daughter used to live in Huntsville, I used to fly into MDQ very often. Remember the huge potholes in the taxi way the first time there. I said something about it to the lineboy while topping off my airplane, he said " that's not a taxi way, that is the road coming in here ". :)

Victor Bravo

2) I'm comfortable with almost any material. I weld, do light machining, do my own composite parts (fiberglass, carbon fiber, carbon Kevlar, etc) and I even have a sewing machine, lol.
Fantastic, there are several really good designs that are back-country oriented.

Bradsopex

Pops, that's pretty funny. They redid a lot there since an Army Guard aviation unit moved in. I fly out of Redstone (KHUA) at the moment.

Pops

Log Member
Pops, that's pretty funny. They redid a lot there since an Army Guard aviation unit moved in. I fly out of Redstone (KHUA) at the moment.
I bought my Falconar F-12 project from a man down at Hartselle back in 1979. Finished it and that is what I was flying when going down to visit my daughter at Huntsville.

xwing

Hello everyone!

I grew up in general aviation thanks to my dad, mostly in 172/182s and then a Diamond DA-20 for a short bit.

I'm an engineer, and currently I build race cars and have found myself drawn more and more towards building something fun to fly, and this forum has a good wealth of knowledge.
I'm new here too & totally blown away!

cheers

Chris Matheny

HBA Supporter
Welcome! After my KR2S i'm just starting I would like to build a stol plane I could keep here at the farm and fly whenever i wanted. I replied in your other thread on auto conversion but figured i'd welcome you here also.

Bradsopex

Thanks Chris! Bush flying is super fun. Since I am a member of a flying club and have access to 172's, 182's, and a few Archers, I figured I would build something I could use off-airport for fun.

Chris Matheny

HBA Supporter
I'm only about 10 hrs into my PPL so i have a long ways to go but would love to fly bush type at some point.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Welcome, Brad. Lots of options out there, tell us a little more about what you're looking for in terms of a project. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any steel-tube and composite bush planes, but there are plenty of designs that include both of those construction types along with wood or sheet metal.

Bradsopex

cluttonfred, I have been following Mike Patey's "Scrappy" build, steel tube with a composite skin. Quite the build, and he's pretty clever with some of the design.

I'm torn between using a Kit Fox or a Zenith for the base. I want something with good STOL performance, and can carry 2 people plus baggage. That's pretty much where my requirements end, lol.

Victor Bravo

I'm torn between using a Kit Fox or a Zenith for the base. I want something with good STOL performance, and can carry 2 people plus baggage.
Sit in the late model Kitfox with another adult male, and sit in the late model Zenith with another adult male. I have done that in the CH-750 and in the Kitfox 5. The Zenith is bigger.

I also believe the Zenith might have better STOL performance (thicker wing, slats) and I believe the Kitfox will go a little faster (thinner wing, cleaner fuselage contours).

The Kitfox is a lot prettier, but the Zenith can be made so ugly and off-road utility that it becomes really cool.

crusty old aviator

Kitfox is a better design, and prettier, too! Zenith is all get up quick, but goes nowhere slowly. But if you’re more into sheetmetal and pop rivets than steel tube & fabric...there’s Murphy Aircraft and others.

crusty old aviator

The basic questions this group almost always asks a newcomer are...

1) what type of lying do you want to do with the airplane you build
I built her in two weeks for $110, plus change.
She gets up in 20 feet and has a 2000 fpm climb rate.
She cruises at 360 knots, stalls at 24, burning 3 gph.
she has a 4000 mile range, 4 seats, and a glass cockpit.
She was designed by a world famous aero engineer named Paul Moller...

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Given your skills, if you are willing to design (or have someone else design) a new composite wing to replace a wood or metal one then there are any number of designs that use fabric over steel tube for fuselage and tail feathers. Something like a Christavia Mk I could be modified to use a cantilever composite wing with big slotted flaps and you'd end up with a baby Helio Courier.

Bradsopex

The Kitfox is a lot prettier, but the Zenith can be made so ugly and off-road utility that it becomes really cool.
So like the Tesla Cybertruck? Because that thing is hideous but I love it, lol.

I agree the Kitfox is beautiful, but I have been wondering what a carbon skinned Zenith could do. I want to say the cost difference isn't huge, but the Zenith is cheaper. I could be wrong though.

I like the rigidity and strength of metal skin, but not a fan of the weight. I can have the best compromise by going carbon fiber for the skin. This would give me a nice slick surface and I can reduce the amount of rivets by using larger panels. Working with carbon fiber is messy but I love the final product.

BJC

HBA Supporter
I want something with good STOL performance, and can carry 2 people plus baggage. That's pretty much where my requirements end, lol.
Brad:
I believe that you know this, but a good STOL design is not necessarily a good bush airplane. Keep that in mind as you peruse recommendations and suggestions.

BJC

Group Builder