Hello from Germany

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Hervé

Hello,

French, resident in the UK, living in Bavaria part of the year and flying in South Africa the rest of the time. I came to aviation quite late even though it was a long time passion that I initially started in Somerset, New-Jersey in the 80s. I have a SA PPL gradually adding ratings. Soon I wish to get IR in the States and aerobatics. I want to build or get a RV7A. As I live in different countries it is a headache to choose where to build and register it. The European laws becoming more and more stringent does not help. So far I might build it in Germany then transfer it onto the SA register once there. In any case the plan is to fly from North Cape to Cape Town or vice-versa :)

Cheers,

Hervé

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
Hello,

French, resident in the UK, living in Bavaria part of the year and flying in South Africa the rest of the time. I came to aviation quite late even though it was a long time passion that I initially started in Somerset, New-Jersey in the 80s. I have a SA PPL gradually adding ratings. Soon I wish to get IR in the States and aerobatics. I want to build or get a RV7A. As I live in different countries it is a headache to choose where to build and register it. The European laws becoming more and more stringent does not help. So far I might build it in Germany then transfer it onto the SA register once there. In any case the plan is to fly from North Cape to Cape Town or vice-versa :)

Cheers,

Hervé
Welcome, sounds like a great goal. The RV is not much of a bush plane if you find trouble in Elephant and Lion country between your destinations :)

PTAirco

Looks like you'll have to do your IR in Germany anyway, according to EASA - they won't recognize your FAA license anymore. But come over for the flying anyway.

Hervé

Hello,

Thanks for your welcoming :) South Africa is a beautiful and opened country for aviators such as the USA. No elephant at Lanseria, near Johannesburg, but we once found a cobra sleeping on the engine of a 182. What a fright!

Hervé

autoreply

Welcome Hervé!

You don't necessarily have to register your homebuilt before you start building. Just make sure it's very well documented (pictures) and you can postpone registering it. A French registration might be the best one at the moment.

autoreply

Rules and regulations I presume, but much of the specific information is relatively hard to locate.
I'd start with the RSA. Don't have much information about it (except for what's on the site), but basically they check your design (and the RV7 is obviously already checked) and inspect it before first flight. Most attention is whether you build it according to the design/kit.

Jean Crous

Hi Herve , ich lebe in Sud-Afrika in der nehe von Kapstadt( So 250 km ost ). Flugzuegebau ist mein arbeit. I have just returned from the expo at Friedrichshafen, man what an absolute eye opener. Contact me when you are next in South Africa !
Jean Crous
072 6716 240