Hello from Ballarat Victoria Australia.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Frank Downunder, Sep 2, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Sep 2, 2019 #1

Frank Downunder

Frank Downunder

Frank Downunder

Hello all,
    Im a lapsed PPL 500 hours licensed since 1989 looking to get back into s aviation via home built aircraft in Australia got number of options single seat ultralight MTOW 300kgs with max wing loading 30kgs/m2 or amateur built 2 seat MTOW 600kgs but a rumor will be upgraded to 750kgs in the next 18 months.

I have number of motors and reduction drives been collecting for last 3 years
    Rotax D drive coupled to BMW R65 airhead boxer 35kW
    Subaru EJ20 with 75mm belt reduction drive suit Rotax prop hub 85kW
    BMW R1100 oilhead boxer to suit 75mm belt reduction drive 65kW

Im retired Telecoms Engineer looking at home built ideas for projects to keep me busy :)

Cheers
    Frank

2. Sep 2, 2019 #2

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Welcome !!!!

I would like to be the first to suggest.... Immediately contact John Gilpin at STOLspeed up in Queensland, and get informed about his bunch of folks flying the CH-701 and ICP Savannah aircraft. They've had a tremendous amount of fun and adventure, and apparently they have flown over each and every square inch of the entire continent :) www.stolspeed.com

Most importantly, John knows what they are doing. They are in a position to assist and advise you, keep you safe during the process, and guarantee you will have a great time doing it. We also have several members on this HBA forum who have built and flown the CH STOL series, and I believe they will be able to verify that this series of aircraft is easy to buld and does indeed perform up to the level that the company's sales department claims. Check out this current HBA thread form Michael Hille in Australia: https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/threads/enjoying-the-zenith-750.32198/

Since their aircraft were built, Zenair now offers additional aircraft models in the series, so if you are a larger size pilot you can have the same aircraft in a 10% larger size.

If you want to see some spectacular videos about the capabillty of this type aircraft, look up the videos on the "Healthy Bastards" flying competition in New Zealand, where this type aircraft is frequently the wi nner in STOL competitions. Those guys have incredible adventures with the CH STOL series of aircraft as well.

I hope the "Ballarat" you have in Australia is more inviting and more attractive than the "Ballarat" we have here in the California desert... the Ballrat here was one of the hiding places for the Charles Manson gang of crazy murderers in the 1960's!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019