Hello everyone.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jeff Higgins, Dec 9, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Dec 9, 2019 #1

Jeff Higgins

Jeff Higgins

Jeff Higgins

New guy here from the Cincinnati Ohio area. I am a gunsmith/machinist by trade and am in the beginning stages of building a part 103 minimax. I’m also taking flying lessons towards my sport license. A PPL is out of reach due to issues with obtaining a medical. The FAA is hard on diabetics that take disqualifying meds. I’m hoping I can learn what many of you have gathered over the years. Thanks for having me.

2. Dec 9, 2019 #2

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator Staff Member

Matt D Murdoch likes this.
  3. Dec 10, 2019 #3

pwood66889

pwood66889

pwood66889

My welcome as well, Jeff.
    Been fighting the Big D myself since 1997. Sport Pilot was a big blessing to me, and happens to coincide with my current preferred ride - see avatar.
    And thanks, Topaz, for that "tip sheet" on the FAA's "thinking du jour." Please be aware that they can change quickly, and do not have to tell any one which drugs FOR ANYTHING are now not allowed.
    Final observation: "The medical profession is the sworn enemy of the flying profession." And do not allow your personal physician to be your AME!!

4. Dec 11, 2019 #4

Chris Matheny

Chris Matheny

Chris Matheny

Active Member HBA Supporter

Howdy Jeff, I am also a new member located north of you outside the Dayton/Springfield area. The more i read on this site the more I like it here. Hope you will too.

Topaz and Jeff Higgins like this.
  5. Dec 11, 2019 #5

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator Staff Member

They can and do change their thinking, but it's not always for the worse. There are at least two drugs on the approved list now that were considered grounds for a "Shall not issue" medical certificate determination just a few years ago.

6. Dec 11, 2019 #6

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

There was a major policy change just in the last month now allowing T1 diabetics to get a Class 1 medical (which was unheard of in the past) so that should soften the overall stance for diabetics.

7. Dec 11, 2019 #7

Jeff Higgins

Jeff Higgins

Jeff Higgins

It does, but they don’t like the other meds I take which I find really asinine that they would rather me change from meds that work for me and then they’ll give me a medical instead of giving it to a person that is otherwise healthy when properly treated with current medications. I’m sure the Wright brothers really intended for their invention to have this much governmental over reach