Hello, Everyone

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 0x4447, Nov 16, 2018.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Nov 16, 2018 #1

0x4447

0x4447

0x4447

Just wanted to introduce myself, I am a college student in the DFW area fascinated with aviation and aerospace, I am currently pursuing a electrical engineering degree and am hoping to design and build an electric ultralight

Boston425 likes this.
  2. Nov 16, 2018 #2

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Welcome to HBA.

3. Nov 16, 2018 #3

narfi

narfi

narfi

Hello and welcome.
    Have you watched the youtube guy who built a foam electric biplane quite rapidly for his channel?

4. Nov 16, 2018 #4

lr27

lr27

lr27

Welcome!

I met a student from, I think, WPI, who had built his own electric "trike", except that it had 4 wheels instead of 3 and had driven wheels in addition to the props. 4 motors, all very small but with impressive amounts of power. Probably the props were too small.
    electric paramotor shrunk.jpg

Not a terribly efficient aircraft, of course.

5. Nov 17, 2018 #5

0x4447

0x4447

0x4447

Yes, Peter's videos are part of what got me interested in designing my own ultralight

narfi likes this.
  6. Nov 17, 2018 #6

0x4447

0x4447

0x4447

That looks pretty cool, not sure if I'm going to make the wheels driven though, my design is currently a mix of the affordaplane, airbike, and the zenith style aluminum extrusion/sheet construction, I think I've got most of the electric powertrain figured out, mainly working out all of the structural/mechanical parts right now

7. Nov 17, 2018 #7

pwood66889

pwood66889

pwood66889

Wish you well. I believe electric planes will be particularly good for training over the near haul, given fuel availability, etc.
    Have my own "Work in Process" east of DFW = Terrell.
    Percy in NW FL, USA

8. Nov 17, 2018 #8

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Welcome to HBA, you will find this place to be a fantastic experience.

We recently had a thread started by Peter, about the next follow-on project for him. We discussed several suggestions, and there were many good ideas, opinions, and considerations brought up.

Are you aware of the aluminum electric Flying Flea derivative done by Nedo Lavorini in Italy? A tremendous achievement, by using standard aircraft material (thin sheet metal and rivets) and still delivering a very light, electric powered aircraft that flew well.

What type or style of UL aircraft are you interested in... an open "flying lawnchair" Quicksilver type, a flying wing, a conventional layout Moni or Luciole style?

9. Nov 17, 2018 #9

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

There's also the electric Belite thread on here.
    With the range limitations, I'd suggest you convert an ultralight that needs minimal power to fly. A carbon dragon glider seems a good candidate. The EMG6 is a ready made conversion for something a little more conventional looking.

10. Nov 18, 2018 #10

0x4447

0x4447

0x4447

I was really looking to design from the ground up for this project, I will check out those planes though

I was thinking kind of a mix between the two, I would love to do the latter but the complicated lofting and composites work seem a bit out of my reach for my experience (and budget). I have been working in solidworks and this is what I have produced so far. It's definitely heavier than I would like at the current moment but it is weighing in around 58lbs made from 6061-T6

I have been taking cues from Zenith planes for manufacturability and relative simplicity of design. I haven't done any significant load calculations yet but I have been speaking to friends of mine that are studying mechanical engineering. My largest problem right now is weight and wing design/construction. Not sure exactly what route I would like to take but I've been looking at a number of different options. Thankfully I was able to get most of the electronics configuration figured out with a 30kW (~40hp) motor, controller, and a 3.3kWh battery all coming in at around 50lbs

11. Nov 18, 2018 #11

0x4447

0x4447

0x4447

Here is a picture of what I have put together so far planeCAD.jpg