Hello everyone, I'm new here !

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

tlovall78

Hello,!

I am Tim from Illinois.

I have always had a love of flying, but never could commit to the time and cost of a pilot license. As I have become more familiar with FAR 103, I latched onto this as a way to satiate my need to fly. I was fascinated with the Affordaplane design, but like many others, I see room for improvements in both weight and build method to achieve a lighter yet strong result. I am about to take the leap and start the build once I have gone over the plans and modifications a few hundred more times and verified every aspect. We are also looking at engine options and evaluating cost to power to weight ratios at this time. My father and I both have professional fabrication, mechanical, and CAD experience so that helps. I currently have multiple web-sites that I designed, so adding one to chronicle the build and flight is definitely in the plans as well.

I look forward to joining the nearest EEA Chapter soon, possibly the one in Terre Haute, Indiana or a central Illinois chapter?

I am a full-time I.T. Technical Analyst with a national retailer and a USMC Veteran (MALS-16, MAG-16, 3rd Marine Air Wing). I am married with four "children" between us, two are now adults and two are starting High School this fall. My father also lives on our property due to his overall health.

I am excited to start on this journey, and ultimately can't wait to take to the sky in my own 103 Ultralight !

-Tim

pwood66889

"My father and I both have professional fabrication, mechanical, and CAD experience so that helps. "

`Evening, Tim. As an east-coaster, I am frequently the Welcome Wagon. My first career was Information Technology, then switched over to aviation as a mechanic. I remember Mt. Vernon; went to a most enjoyable fly-in there in 2014.
Please accept my most humble Welcome. Do join the local EAA chapter.
Percy in NW FL, USA

steveair2

Log Member
Welcome Tim,

Before you commit to redesigning the Affordaplane, please take a look at all your other options first. There are many.
You will save yourself much time and effort building from a proven set of plans.

The Legal Eagle or Hummel Ultracruiser are two good options. I personally like the Johnston Aviation Tiger Cub Tiger Cub aircraft, Light Sport and Experimental airplane, plans and kits.
There is also Fisher Aircraft and the Minimax line of wooden ultralights. There are many others.

Steve.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Hi, Tim, and welcome. I would echo Steve’s comments that there are plenty of simple and affordable Part 103 designs better than the Affordaplane already out there.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome Tim,

Another design worth considering is the Kolb Ultrastar, a great flying plane (but maybe I'm biased because I used to own one).

Also, unless you have your heart set on building, look around locally... used ultralights can usually be found considerably cheaper than the most frugal scratch build.

Have you done any flying? If not, even though there's no legal requirement for it you will need to get some basic flight instruction.

Doran Jaffas

Welcome to HBA, Tim! Looking forward to your input.
Welcome aboard Tim glad to have you! There are some extremely knowledgeable people on this website and the variety of aircraft that can be spoken about with authority is absolutely astounding. I belong to a couple of different sites and this site stands out all on its own. I don't think there's a question you can ask that someone will not have the answer for or several someone's for that matter. Extremely informative website and the people here have a lot of knowledge that know how to bring it across in an understandable manner.

Doran Jaffas

Attachments