Hello everyone,I am from China。

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

galapoola

I’ve watched quite a few YouTube videos from very innovative craftsmen, from all over the world. I’m guessing many ways to skin a cat and so long as the finished item is sound. Many of us work in “best practice” environments and who’s to say if a process outside the norm is bad? Maybe he jigged up two and then needed space so why not hang ‘em to dry/set.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
I don't know, but all those clamps look new and the tags are still on them. Caoyun, you aren't planning to send them back for a refund when you are done with your ribs I hope. 😉 (Just kidding).

Yes, I'm most familiar with building wood ribs in a jig, with gussets glued on after the sticks, then removing the whole rib after the glue cures. Often small nails, too, especially if the wood ribs are just built on top of a paper template.

But, that's surely not the only way to do things.

Added: This is an example of a very nice wing jig that one of the members here (Duncan, username "RTFM,' ) used to build some ribs. Most jigs are much simpler, but all help hold thing in position. Ribs - how strong do they have to be?

Added later: Saw BJCs post 83 and caoyun's post 74. "Never mind...'

Last edited:

dwalker

What am I seeingng in that pic......?
Are the ribs built using clamps to hold every joint together ?
Why not make a rib jig.......?

Kevin
It looks like your seeing ribs that have been in a jig, are partially cured the clamped and set in a rack to fully cure. That's about how I would do it if I lacked space and did not want to move at the pace of allowing the ribs to fully cure in the jig or risk them having an issue of removed from the big partially cured but not clamped
Necessity drives innovation.

cheapracer

Log Member
I always thought people in China could not communicate with anyone outside of China due to Chinese government restrictions.
Yeah, sure, I'm getting shot after this post, ****, third time this month.
I don't mind the death, it's just that I have to keep buying new shirts because of the blood and bullet holes.

Yellowhammer, using proxy services to break a hole on the great firewall to communicate with foreigners is criminal offense in China. Repeat offenders are punishable by imprisonment. caoyun has to be very careful when he posts here.
Yeah, sure. Saddest part is you actually believe it, coming from that reliable source of information, i.e. your workmates at the lunchroom table ...

Fun Facts: 160+ million Chinese tourist went abroad in 2019, 220,000 students go to the USA to study, 600,000 to 700,000 study abroad overall, and return to China each year. You can Google that.

... and none of them ever dare speak to Foreigners, right?

BTW, I F2F (Face to Face) video chat occasionally on my phone to a couple of Members of this forum, I most certainly talk to my family members in Australia F2F almost daily, as was my Sister in Law F2F with her son while studying in America, and plenty of others I know, and no VPN involved, and I don't need a VPN for 98% of the net, including HBA.

You're just full of it Mate.

So your little homebuilt either has to stay well out in un-monitiored rural airspace,

Same for boats. your 35 foot yacht on a round-the-world jaunt gets treated exactly the same as a massive container ship as far as paperwork and berthing/pilotage goes.
Not completely true. While I totally agree about limited access overall, there are some free flight areas for microlights, trikes etc. Lack of airfields is the biggest problem.

I have no idea about boats coming in from International waters, but National boating in general is unrestricted, been on plenty.

There is a large group of enthusiast building airplanes in China.
Absolutely true. The airshows are packed with visitors and builders.

IIRC, Cheapracer has posted from China about his project, plus a few diversions into discussions about the quality of craftsmanship available in China.
Only been posting from here to HBA for 8 or more years ... without a VPN.

Just because flying itself is still quite a restriction, and that is sadly true, doesn't stop you from building any plane you want in China. There are plenty of plans around, materials isn't even a question, and plenty of videos for building and flying tutorials.

There is absolutely nothing stopping a Chinese person buying plans from, and having them sent from overseas, such as for a MiniMax, Zenith, etc. I know because I have done it, end of story.

I question the OP why myself, a Foreigner who can't read any Chinese at all, can find all this aviation information by myself in China, and have done so for the last 10 years.

I see the OP as no different to other people who come into various car, boat, aircraft etc forums and ask "how do I build 'X'" without lifting a finger for themselves in the first instance, regardless of what Country they are in.

Youku is China's Youtube equivalent, and it is full of related videos and contacts, here is an example of a Mini Max build and flight posted in 2014. It has English subtitles, and is actually a good watch ...

cheapracer

Log Member
Oh, and one can even import a plane, or a kit, or a bunch of fiberglass plane molds into China, from China, yeah, done all that too ... my entire family was imprisoned and I was shot, goes without saying ..

photo.JPG

dwalker

There are those who know more than I do "but" if that is epoxy glue the use of spring loaded clamps may not be such a good idea. The clamps never stop exerting pressure so they might "squeeze out" all the glue from the bond line. The bond line starved of proper glue thickness will not have proper strength.
That is why I feel like he is starting them out in the jig, allowing the parts to partially cure, then transferring them to the "drying rack" to allow them to fully cure.

caoyun

我不知道,但所有这些夹子看起来都很新,而且标签还在上面。曹云,我希望你排骨吃完后,你不打算把它们寄回去退款。😉 (只是在开玩笑)。

是的,我最熟悉的是在夹具中建造木肋,在木棍后粘上角撑板,然后在胶水固化后去除整个肋骨。通常也有小钉子,特别是如果木肋只是建在纸模板的顶部。

但是,这肯定不是唯一的做事方式。

补充:这是一个非常好的机翼夹具的例子,这里的一个成员(邓肯,用户名“RTFM,”)用来制造一些肋骨。大多数夹具要简单得多,但都有助于将东西固定到位。 肋骨 - 如何他们必须坚强吗?

后来补充:看到BJCs 83和caoyun的帖子74。“没关系......'
[/引用]这是一个不错的方法,我打算下面的翼肋用聚乙烯薄膜垫在下面,然后等环氧胶固化了之后再取下来,这样就不用钉子了,也不用破坏原来的结构。

dog

Excellent work on the wing.
Your airplane studio is looking smaller.
In the picture you posted of the wing rib building jig,there are cams locks to hold the pieces.Did you print those in a 3d printer ?

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Caoyun,
To help others, could you please make your posts in English (or with an English translation)? Most people participating here speak English, and it is more efficient for you to translate your thoughts one time than to have everyone do a machine translation for themselves.
Thanks.
The photo looks great, good progress!

Last edited: