Hello! Could someone help me clear up minute some details..?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Chlomo

Hi everyone! I'm very eager and looking forward to joining homebuilt aviation crowd!:grin:
However before I can commence modeling in Solidworks there are some things I'm compelled to ask you.

1. What brand/name of solid rivets are RV airplanes primarily built with?
And as for the RV-12 I've read Vans turned to blind rivet construction.. what specific rivet are we talking about?

2. Would water getting into the small holes of blind rivets be an issue?

3. Sooo... I've chosen push/pull rod controls over cables. Where can I source those tubes and tie-rods?

4. Do you know any alternatives to those Spruce landing wheels? At some $800 per tire they sure are horrrrrendously overpriced..!

5. Anyone with hand on experience with DIY avionics? I'm looking into possibilities of using Raspberry pi or similar cheep controllers.

There! Just my humble thoughts and questions.
Thanks in advance for your replys!:ban:

Vision_2012

Welcome, Chlomo,

Hi everyone! I'm very eager and looking forward to joining homebuilt aviation crowd!
However before I can commence modeling in Solidworks there are some things I'm compelled to ask you.

1. What brand/name of solid rivets are RV airplanes primarily built with?
And as for the RV-12 I've read Vans turned to blind rivet construction.. what specific rivet are we talking about? --AN rivets are Army-Navy specified. See Aircraft-Spruce website and catalogue. It is an information source. Also, this website's FAQ.

2. Would water getting into the small holes of blind rivets be an issue? Cherry rivets are not a problem. Are you building in the rain?

3. Sooo... I've chosen push/pull rod controls over cables. Where can I source those tubes and tie-rods? Aircraft Spruce sells aluminum tubing.

4. Do you know any alternatives to those Spruce landing wheels? At some $800 per tire they sure are horrrrrendously overpriced..! Small a/c may use go-cart wheels, but IMHO, anyone building a/c with passengers should use those "overpriced" wheel, axel and brake sets.

5. Anyone with hand on experience with DIY avionics? I'm looking into possibilities of using Raspberry pi or similar cheep controllers.- not me, but I am interested
!

gtae07

There's no brand name for the solid rivets used on RVs; they're a basic industry standard item used across the industry, from the smallest and lightest airplanes up to the largest and fastest. On the RVs, flush applications use AN426 (MS20426) rivets in 3/32 and 1/8 sizes, and non-flush applications use AN470 (MS20470) rivets in 1/8. There are some 3/16 AN470s used on the spar, but builders on the newer models (RV-7 and above) don't have to deal with them as they come pre-installed.

I'm not sure what blind rivets are used on the RV-12, but you could ask around here: RV-12 - VAF Forums

Regarding rivet holes, I'm not sure. I don't think there would be a problem with water going into the holes, but it would still be good practice to properly protect your structure against corrosion and provide adequate drain holes for accumulated moisture. I will say that oil in the exhaust that gets onto the belly of the aircraft somehow manages to work around the tiniest holes around even solid rivets; you might consider sealing that area. And use a good firewall sealant and insulation.

For control rods, you'll need to design your tubes with the appropriate loads, find them in available dimensions, and make them yourself. This differs so much for each aircraft that there is no fixed source for it. That's one of the things about building your own design; you have to design all of it.

Don't know about tires.

For avionics, you can get a surprising amount of capability out of some used or non-certified analog avionics, and a consumer-grade tablet device for navigation. Or, look at one of the affordable all-in-one EFIS solutions like the small MGL and GRT offerings. Trying to make your own reliable avionics package could be as difficult a project as the aircraft itself.

kent Ashton

I expect that the best way for a S. Korean to get a homebuilt done is to import a kit from the U.S. It will have everything you need and a builder's manual that will cover all the things you need to know. I suspect an established kit would also be more acceptable to Korean aviation authorities. Don't waste your money trying to import individual parts to Korea. It will be hugely expensive and time-comsuming. You could also take a year, come to American, and build your airplane here.

For me, waiting for parts and supplies slows me down a lot. Having everything there is a huge help.

Google Vans Aircraft, Zenith Aircraft, Sonex, RANS aircraft. These are major kit suppliers.